Seventeen: A Hundred Battles

Given the unfortunate happenings of the day, Harley and John were moved into Robby's house for protection. Along with Robby, Edvin decided he too needed to be there just in case any of Cooper's soldier buddies decided to pay a visit, or so he said. But John had his suspicions that Edvin was interested in more than just Harley's safety.

At the end of the night, when the pair were asked about their sleeping arrangements, John was adamant that he and Harley be in the same room.

He wasn't letting her out of his sight again. He would never admit it but there was a part of him that felt an instinctual need to mark his borders when it came down to Harley, despite knowing that he and Harley weren't romantic. They didn't even sleep under the same blanket. Yet still, John didn't like the idea of another man intruding upon their partnership.

○●○

John woke in the morning to an assault of wet puppy kisses and turned to find Harley's side of the bed empty. He experienced a brief moment of panic just before he saw that the bedroom window was wide open and his ears caught the hushed but audible sound of little feet padding above his head. Harley was on the roof.

John breathed a sigh of relief, climbed stiffly out of bed with Rebel in his arm and made his way out to the kitchen. He found both Robby and Edvin standing at the island, drinking what smelled to be coffee.

"Welcome back to the land of the living," Robby smiled.

John was a little confused over Robby's surprised expression, and scratched his cheek, "Thanks?"

Edvin wasted no time pulling a mug out of the cupboard and pouring John a cup of coffee from a percolator that sat atop a propane cook top.

"You've been asleep since the day before yesterday," Edvin informed, having observed John's confusion.

John's eyes widened in disbelief, "Oh"

"You must've really needed it," Robby noted before taking a sip from his mug.

John accepted the cup of coffee offered by Edvin, "Guess so. Did Harley make an appearance?"

"No, she must've slept right through too," Robby answered.

"Where is the missus?" Edvin queried, glancing at John quickly then taking a gulp from his mug.

John narrowed his eyes at Edvin for a moment, wondering if his question was designed to decipher Harley's relationship status. He decided to ignore that part and simply pointed his finger upward to the ceiling.

Robby and Edvin curiously tilted their heads up at the same time.

Edvin raised an eyebrow, "She's on the roof?"

John nodded once as he sipped on his coffee.

"Why is she on the roof?" Robby prodded.

"Hm, safety bubble," was all John offered.

"How'd she even get up there?" Edvin questioned.

John shrugged, "My theory is she's part monkey"

"Cute little monkey," Edvin muttered, earning himself an icy glare from John.

"Anyway," Robby cut in, "We have kind of a farmers market once a week where the folks who make their own items get together and sell them. Today happens to be market day. Would you and Harley like to come?"

"I'll see what she thinks," John replied before gulping down the rest of his coffee and making his way to the front door.

Robby and Edvin followed him outside and walked to the edge of the lawn so they could see Harley. She sat perched on the peak of the roof with a small notepad and pen, seemingly writing or doodling something in it. She hadn't yet seen the guys because the beak of her hat hid the world in front of her as she focused on her task.