Thirty-Four: Haven

The vulnerable pair were forcefully relieved of their weapons and backpacks, and Harley struggled anxiously to get hers back for fear of what these new faces might do to her pup. But two of the men had other plans and were quick to handcuff both Harley and Edvin as the other men held steadfast with their guns carefully trained on the duo.

"We mean no harm, guys," Edvin began nervously as he looked around to each of the men, "We're just passing through"

Without word or warning one of the men stepped forward, placing a black sack over Edvin's head first then Harley's. This was enough to incite a panic in Harley and once again she began to grunt and struggle.

"Easy, girl," said the man who stood behind her holding her cuffed wrists. He wrapped his other arm around her shoulders, holding her tightly against himself.

Edvin spoke, his voice muffled by the fabric over his face, "Don't fight, Harley"

"Let's move," an unknown man said, and immediately Harley and Edvin were forced forward by the two guys who stood behind them.

On shaky legs and out of breath with anxiety, the pair were led blindly onward. The only sounds they could hear as they stumbled were their own heavy breaths and pounding hearts.

If these men were as friendly as the two people they'd encountered on the roof, they were in for some trouble.

Harley couldn't get the picture of Rebel lying helplessly within the walls of her backpack, being carried by a man who might see fit to dispose of the baby pup. The thought alone made Harley's heart feel as if it were being squeezed in a vice and it took her breath away. She had to get him back, whatever happened, she needed to protect him.

After being led for several, painful minutes, Harley and Edvin heard what sounded like metal scraping across metal. They were pushed forward another few paces where they then heard the same grinding, scratching metallic sound behind them. Edvin guessed it was the sound of a barricade being moved to allow for entry.

It was at this time that the men allowed themselves to speak.

"Take the girl to Father Douglas. He goes to lockup with the others," someone ordered.

The man who stood behind Edvin coughed and spit before he spoke, "Move," he commanded as he kicked the back of Edvin's leg.

"Wait," Edvin argued after being shoved onward, "Harley!" He yelled anxiously having come to the realization that she and him were being separated.

Simultaneously, Harley and Edvin began to fight and struggle as they were blindly led in opposite directions. Both could hear the other contesting, but were powerless to bend the control that was being forced upon them.

Harley could hear Edvin growl a warning as he was dragged away, "You'd better not lay a finger on her!! You hear me!"

Meanwhile Harley was being carried off as well by two men, her legs kicking and thrashing beneath her.

Both men chuckled at Harley's fruitless attempts to free herself, "We've got a feisty one," the guy on her left said.

"She'll learn. They all do," the other replied.

As she was dragged forward in darkness, Harley thought only of Rebel and Edvin and what would happen to them in this new place at the hands of these new people. Scenarios of torture and execution had her gasping for air that was already limited due to the heavy sack over her face.

Harley heard a door swing open then felt the pavement change to tile. She guessed she had been led into a building of some kind and pushed her heels into the floor once more in dispute.