Forty-Five: Bad Company Corrupts Good Morals

After the foursome were interrogated and their intentions deemed truthful, they were led by Margo and the returned Caleb to one of the several lookouts set out atop the Plateau.

Having previously been a large tennis court, the area was now almost unrecognizable as such. It was located at the very edge of the Northeast side of the island where the Plateau stood highest and overlooked the Eastern Apron some sixty feet below.

However, when it was transformed into an observation post, Margo had black slats woven into the chain link fence on three sides with only a handful of intelligently placed peepholes spaced throughout. Much of the lookout had been covered from above with military camouflage netting creating a hidden and shaded space for the assigned sentries to fulfill their duties.

Upon arrival there were two on the job, one stationed on the East peering through high power binoculars and the other Northbound on the her stomach with a sniper rifle, observing through the attached scope.

"Jenson, Bartley, you're relieved," Margo announced as she walked deeper into the observation post.

"Thanks, Margo. Nothing interesting to report," informed the male sentry as he handed her the binoculars and ambled out of the lookout.

As the woman picked herself up from the ground, John was quick to spot the rifle she had been using and couldn't help but to get a closer look, "Is that a Cheytac M200 Intervention?" He asked.

"Ah, we have an aficionado in our midst," the young woman replied, smiling at John as she pulled a pair of sunglasses from the top of her head and put them on.

John crouched down to scrutinize the rifle where it sat on a bipod, its muzzle still pointing out through the peephole, "2000 meter range, bolt action. This is a nice gun," he gushed.

"Kicks like a damn mule," the woman retorted with a grin before she turned heel and exited the lookout.

Having overheard the conversation between John and the young woman, Caleb padded closer, "You know alot about guns, mate?"

"Not alot," John answered as he straightened out, "Just enough to know this rifle is top notch"

He wondered suddenly if he had just inadvertently put himself in a position where he would have to explain why he had a working knowledge of guns.

Margo watched the interaction closely for a moment before speaking, "Military man?"

John wasn't a liar, but he also didn't have to explain the whole truth, "Just a gun enthusiast," he replied.

"I see," Margo paused, "anyway," she continued as she turned toward one of the peepholes, lifting the binoculars up to her eyes, "Harley, would you come over and have a look," she requested.

Harley put Rebel down on the grass and padded over to where Margo stood, accepting the binoculars. Peering through, she could see the harbour, better known as the Parramatta River. Beyond that there was a long, narrow cape jutting out into the open water like an arm, and way off in the distance stood the Sydney Harbour Bridge, vast and haunted.

"What am I supposed to be looking for?" She finally asked, feeling annoyed.

"On the water," Margo answered cryptically.

Combing through the harbour with the high powered binoculars, Harley's eyes captured movement, far off but unmistakable, "It's a boat"

Margo nodded, "Yes ma'am, it's our weekly shipment of produce from Goat Island"

"There are people on Goat Island?" Edvin questioned.

Smiling, Margo replied, "There are people on all the islands in the harbour. We're a network of communities. We help each other access what's needed to survive. A small Gadigal Clan lives on Goat island. They grow the majority of the vegetables and fruit for themselves and the rest of us on this island, Spectacle Island and Snapper Island"