Forty-Three: The Mould Loft

John looked to Harley, shocked by the revelation. Shifting his gaze to the photograph, it was obvious. The resemblance was striking.

"Trina Dwyer was your mother?" Frank asked in disbelief.

Taking to picking at her fingers, Harley answered coldly, "Hooker from Perth. Yep that's the one," she nodded passively.

Rounding the table back to his chair, Frank sat, "I'm sorry you had to find out this way"

Harley shrugged, "Didn't really know her"

"If Trina was a carrier and you're completely immune, it's possible we're dealing with a genetic mutation unique to your family," Frank explained as he flipped the folder around and pulled it toward himself to thumb through the pages.

John was quick to rest his hand lightly on Harley's knee, understanding implicitly that her seemingly cold reaction was one of self preservation.

"Harley," Frank began, "Were you at all in contact with your siblings?"

Lifting her head, Harley's demeanor shifted into a state of interest, "Siblings?"

"Trina had four other children. You weren't aware of this?" Frank asked as he switched his gaze between Harley and the file on Trina.

Harley looked down at her hands as they fidgeted and shook her head.

"That's unusual. Generally when child protective services steps in they aim to keep siblings together.

"Bad aim," Harley murmured to herself, eyes still downcast.

A quiet fell amongst the three for a long moment before Frank cleared his throat, "Thank you Harley, you've given me a treasure trove of information," he began, "I'm sure you'd both like to go explore Plateau and find a place to rest," he finished smiling warmly.

Harley pulled the beak of her cap down just slightly is she stood from her chair and turned, heading toward the exit. John, on the other hand, stood and shook Frank's hand, "Thanks," he nodded before dropping his gaze to Harley's mother's file, "Would you mind if I borrowed this?"

Frank nodded, "Not at all"

John knew Harley needed to comb through that folder, even if she didn't.

Catching up to her just outside the makeshift laboratory, the pair were greeted by Caleb, the young man who they'd met not long before.

As he pushed himself away from the side of the building he'd been leaning against, he flicked a cigarette to the ground, exhaled and said, "Follow me"

John and Harley obliged, keeping pace behind the serious minded man.

They were led across the breezy open courtyard and into another dusty, decaying brick building, where they were immediately reunited with the rest of their group.

Edvin and Taylor sat at a round table on the far left of the space, both in new clothes as they each snacked on a sandwich.

Harley was relieved to see Rebel sitting on Taylor's lap as he broke off little bits of bread to share with the growing pup.

There were four armed men stationed randomly in the large space. They kept their distance but clearly wanted to convey to the new people that they were prepared to deal with any unsavory situations, should they arise.

Both John and Harley immediately noticed that the space was equipped with three racks of clothing off to one side, and two makeshift showers with curtain partitions on the other.

John presumed all new comers were sent through decontamination on their way into the inhabited Plateau.

"Oh, hey guys," Edvin greeted as he stood from his chair, prompting Taylor to follow suit with Rebel tucked under his arm.