Thirty-Three: Widow's Peak

After being forcefully dragged several blocks away from where she started and hauled into an abandoned indoor swimming pool, Harley was at last freed from Edvin's tight grip.

The moment her feet met the concrete, Harley exploded at Edvin, bashing him in the chest with her fists and trying to push him with all her might. Given Edvin's hulking stature though, Harley's efforts were fruitless.

"You bastard! You left them there to die!! I hate you!!" She screamed tirelessly, her voice echoing as she beat her hands raw against Edvin.

All he could do was stand steadfast and accept Harley's rage. He welcomed each punch and each slap, understanding completely the anguish Harley was experiencing.

Harley continued to hit and shout, "Why? Why!? We could've helped them!! We could've saved them!!!"

"There were too many Howlers- We would've been taken down too. I'm so sorry, Harley," Edvin said sullenly, still accepting her abuse.

"That's bullshit!" Harley screamed and shoved Edvin with everything she had, "I'm done! This stupid fucking mission is done!" She added before pushing past Edvin and stomping back around the empty pool toward the barred door she'd been carried in through.

Edvin was quick to catch up and grab Harley by the arm, "How can you say that?" He asked heatedly as he flipped her back around, "Literally everyone died for you," he added in disbelief.

Yanking herself out of his grasp, Harley yelled, "I never asked them too! I never asked for any of this!" She turned away and kept walking.

"You can't leave. Not now. We're seeing this through," Edvin commanded.

"Fuck you!" Harley declared without looking back.

It was only a moment before Edvin forcibly snatched Harley into his arms and began dragging her back around the pool to where his things were. She kicked and bucked furiously, "Let me go!"

Once back in the far end of the space, Edvin released his grip on Harley, "SIT," he ordered and pointed to the floor.

"Or what!!" Harley screamed and shoved Edvin once more.

At the peak of his anger and frustration, Edvin reached into his back pocket and pulled out his hand gun, pointing it in Harley's face. His eyes were furious and his brow sweaty, "Sit the fuck down!"

Harley grit her teeth and glared at Edvin for a long time before she angrily ripped her backpack from her shoulders and took a seat on the hard, concrete floor.

Sighing and brushing his hand through his hair, Edvin wearily lowered himself to the ground by sliding his back down the wall and dropped his head feeling utterly defeated.

The space was quiet for some time as neither of the two could think straight in their grief.

Harley suddenly remembered Rebel. She pulled her backpack onto her lap, unzipped the large compartment and was immediately greeted by a blissfully happy pup. He reached his head out of the backpack and took to licking and nipping at Harley's chin and mouth.

But she had no love to give in that moment and simply stared ahead into blank space. Rebel squeaked and whimpered, hungry and needing affection, and that's when Harley lost her resolve and began to cry.

Hot tears rolled down her cheeks in rivulets and her breath caught in her throat. She was beside herself with sorrow. She was lost and alone in a dark, ugly world- but this wasn't the kind of lonely she was accustomed to, this alone was painful. Having something and then losing it, she discovered, was far worse than never having had that something at all. Harley dropped her head as tears spilled down her cheeks and her lungs involuntarily gasped for air.