29

September age 1 1

"how many ounces in a pound?" stanley asked from eddie, who had a Math test next period.

"16. step up your game, stan" eddie chuckled.

"okay...how many ounces is one cup?" stan asked, looking up from eddie's math books. bill was following this scenario while biting his sandwich. Beverly and Richie instead were having a pun war, beverly strong in the lead.

"8 US fluid ounces" eddie said casually.

"you're smart enough to pass this test, don't stress about it" stan shoved the book back to eddie, who groaned.

"But I'd like to like make sure I know"

"y-you know, eh-eh-eh-"

"ohmygod Bill, you know I hate when you stutter my name. it's eddie. eddie eddie eddie, it's not that hard" eddie groaned, frustrated, his intentions not to hurt bill, who looked down. "sorry..."

"hey, don't be. it's not your fault" stan smiled sweetly at bill, who let a small smirk on his lips. "right, eddie?" stan turned to the smaller boy, saying it rather harshly.

"yeah..yeah, sorry bill. i'm just really on edge. my momma's been pushing me to my limits lately"

"what? what has she done?" richie immediately turned to eddie, who let out a breathy laugh.

"she's been forcing me to the emergency room even more and more. she's afraid of the puberty, that i'll hit...at some point..."

"you're eleven, eddie, and you're still short as a toothpick. i think ms K has nothing to worry about" richie smirked. (a/n eLeVeN yeah ooooh now shush about it. this is a reddie fic, i don't want eleven shit to be involved :)

eddie stuck his tongue out, before looking down at his food and grabbing the untouched sandwich.

"hey so why's your mom like that?" beverly asked. "like why does she force you to those things?"

eddie looked at her, sighing. "I don't know...she's just concerned"

"about what?" beverly kept grilling eddie, who shifted. "i don't know"

"but there must be a reason-"

"I don't know, beverly!" eddie exclaimed.

the red haired girl went silent and looked down.

eddie took out his inhaler and took a careful puff from it. richie placed his hand behind eddie's back, rubbing small circles on it, calming eddie down.

"sorry, eddie" bev finally said after a moment of utter silence.

eddie shook his head as to say 'it's fine'. he got up and sniffled a bit. "i think I'm gonna head to class. the teacher said we should come a bit earlier since we have the test"

"good luck with the test" stan gave eddie a small smile, where eddie just nodded. the rest of the kids watched how eddie walked to empty his tray and then exit the cafeteria.