[16] Twenty Two Tarots of Fate

SEBASTIAN

WHEN YOU think that everything is moving on the right track, you speed up the steam engine in hope to arrive at your destination the quickest journey. Then, you'll be stunned to see that someone is tied along the rail, and you'll about to ram the helpless without a chance to pull the brake.

What more if it's a case where only one of you can live? Will you give up your life for the other?

Tila huminto sa pagtibok ang aking puso't binalot ng nakakabinging katahimikan ang madilim na paligid. Pinapanood ko lang ang mabagal na paglapit ng babaeng tanging suot na lang ay itim na leggings na naging ng shorts sa pagkapunit, at itim na push-up brassiere.

"Berenice," I panted with widened eyes, jaw-dropped mouth, twitching lips, and jumbled thoughts.

Only when she was abled to sit down on the chair at the opposite direction, under the radiance of the white light, came the moment for me to clearly observe the loyal maid. Nanuyo na ang iyak sa kaniyang marungis na mukha. Pulang-pula ang mata. Kagaya ko, punong-puno ng pasa at sugat ang kaniyang balat, punit-punit ang kasuotan na mas nagpakita ng kaniyang voluptuous figure. Walang kabuhay-buhay ang galaw na para bang isang taong pasuko na sa buhay.

"Don't stare," the loyal maid uttered, embracing her chest as if she's hiding her vast future—hindi naman ako interesado r'on. After lowering my head to avoid embarrassing her, she vented, "Bakit? Bakit ko kailangan pagdaanan 'to? I told you, rapat nanahimik na lang ako."

"I'm sorry," I responded sympathetically. Nagi-guilty ako dahil siguradong mayroon kaming kasalanan sa kung bakit siya pinaparusahan ngayon. I don't know how the serial killer predicted all our moves to create this master plan, but our carelessness is to be blamed for all eventuality.

Narinig ko ang nakakasaksak-pusong paghikbi ng babae sa aking harapan. She surely went through a lot in this chamber—I could assure that since I did as well. Kung wala kang lakas ng loob at sapat na kaalaman, siguradong lalamunin ka ng buhay ng mga torture room.

I rolled my eyes to peek on Berenice, not because for sexual manner, but out of pity. During that quick action, nagsitayuan ang aking mga balahibo nang makita ang—her left hand's index finger is gone! Tila isang gripo 'yon na patuloy sa pagpatak ng dugo.

"Some are lucky, and others are not," the game master remarked with his chilly voice. "The world is truly unfair since the blood of misery is pass on to generation after generations. Humans try to break free, but not everyone succeeds. Hence, unfortunates always wander the dark and rat-infested alleys with a poor hope of witnessing the sun."

"What are you trying to point out?" I screamed in anger and grievance, while Berenice only continued to lament. "Are you saying that we belong to the unlucky group? That's a good joke!"

"Alam mo sa sarili mo ang kalagayan ninyo ngayon, Sebastian. I'm the order inside this chamber, and you two are just my playmates," he replied. "Both of you exhausted your luck outside, and drained the remaining here. Now, one of you will completely run out of luck in this final room."

Is that what the revolver and cards are here for? Berenice and I will gamble with our life at stake? I clenched my fists with my nails burying on my wounded palms to that thought. For him, people's lives are just materials he can toy around. The demon has no sympathy but full of animosity!

"Pinaglalaruan mo kami? You want one of us to kill the other?" I vented, roaming my sight around to search for the CCTV camera. "Bakit hindi na lang ikaw ang makipagpustahan sa amin? Takot ka? Makes sense since you have an unusual god complex!"

"Unusual god complex?" he laughed.

"Yes, unusual god complex!" I repeated, slamming my right fist on the table which almost made the cards flip. "Pinaglalaruan at kinukuha mo ang buhay ng iba na parang wala lang. Like a god watching from the out-of-the-earth realm, you instruct and toy the humans you deem to be lesser."