Chapter 20 : A Surprise is Better Than a Plan

Kyle scuffled his feet as he walked out of the BBC Television centre. Kyle swung his sling leathered bag across his body. He pushed his messy dark hair out his eyes and moves his glassed to its correct place. Kyle took out his scarf from his bag as the wind was beginning to get even colder. The leaves on the pavement danced. As he turned a corner from the building, he saw a familiar figure.

“Lauren? Is that you?” Kyle asked as he approached. Lauren turned around. She looked as if she’s been crying. She nodded and buried her face into her cold hands. Her fingernails had turned blue. She had forgotten her gloves. Kyle sprinted and pulled her into a hug. His warmth greeted her, and she indulged herself into his manly aftershave. He hushed her to stop crying and eventually she did.                                                                                                                                                                                                          

“Do you wanna tell me what happened? Are you okay? Are you hurt?” Kyle carefully questioned her.                                                                                                                                                                       

“No. I’m fine. I was supposed to meet up with.. someone.. God, I’m sooooooo stupid.” Lauren murmured into his body. Lauren clung to him for warmth. She just needed someone to be there for her.                                                                                                                                                                                

“I called him like 3 times and sent him texts but nothing. I guess it wasn’t meant to be. I’m such an idiot. Shame on me, i guess.” Lauren sighed. “Still the same jerk.”                                                       

“You’re not stupid Lauren. How long have you been waiting here for? Since you left the building?” He asked her as he rubbed her back. He could smell the sweet strawberry scent that floated around her. She nodded again. And Lauren started sobbing lightly.                                                               

“Okay. Let’s get you warmed up. It’s almost eight now. Where’s your sister?” They pulled apart from their embrace and Lauren wiped away her tears. Kyle took out his gloves and handed them to her.                                                                                                                                                                   

“Here, take them for the night. Your fingers look like they’re about to catch frostbite or something.” Kyle said with a smile. He had a kind heart and all he wanted was just to get to know Lauren a bit more.                                                                                                                                                          

“Thanks.” She sniffed. “My sister’s busy working tonight. She’s with my nephew too at my brother-in-law’s restaurant.” Lauren looked up and saw a bright pair of blue eyes.