Chapter 3: So, this is how it began

I'm still stuck on a question that I am trying really hard to answer.

Why the hell did I pick you instead of Victoria in the first place? That question popped up in my mind when I was on the road. I glanced at Kate repeatedly when I was driving. Little Nathan's little body was pushed up against her mommy's chest, sleeping. Yeah, why did I choose her over Victoria in the first place. What the fuck was teenage Lin thinking?

I eyed her from head to toe. She obviously wasn't pretty like Vicky. Her looks were mediocre from a "guy's" standpoint. (Kate I'm sorry. When every time you ask me how you looked before we went outdoors, I always lied to you. When I look at you that time, I was looking at the painting that you did on the wall. So the word "beautiful" didn't apply to you. It was the painting.) She wasn't academically smart and was more of an introvert.

All I remember of her from my teenage years was that when I first saw her, she was doodling all over her Calculus textbook. She was a pretty weird kid I should say. She sat in the cafeteria by herself during 6th period and barely have any friends. The teenage Kate had huge oval glasses and pink braces. Her long hair was pulled back into a ponytail.

I should've not talked to you "that day".

We pulled up in Star Hotel and booked a 2 night stay. We were planning on staying at Kate's mom house since she lives all alone and wouldn't mind company. We took the elevator to the third floor and entered our assigned room, room 315. Kate rocked the baby to sleep and laid him on the bed.

"I'm going to take a shower."

I came out of the bathroom with a cloud of steam coming off of my body. Kate was just sitting next to the window. Just sitting there, staring down from the third floor to get a view at the city.

"Lin...." she said, hesitating.
"What is it?"
"Do you still like Vicky?"
"Of course not." I lied, picking my words cautiously to prepare for what she might say next.
"You know........you should've went with her instead." She said. I could hear a falter in her voice as if she is trying to hold back her tears. She tried to keep a straight face, but I know she's not good at pretending . There's a reason why she failed theater class in high-school. "you didn't have to come back for me you know."

"Why would I come back for you if I didn't like you over Vicky.?"

"You hate me don't you.....Lin" she said. I could see her face reflecting on the window pane although her back was facing towards me. I could see her watery red eyes. "I ruined your life, didn't I."

"No. The most happiest thing in my life is when I have you by my side."

She smiled, but not out of happiness. She smiled as if she was trying to play along with my bullshit. I put my arms around her, pushed my damp cheeks up against hers as she gently closed her eyes.

"Lin..."
"What is it?"
"Why did you pick me instead of Vicky?"
"Because I like you."
"Why do you like me?"

Honestly, I couldn't answer that question myself. Thinking back, I couldn't really recall the good memories that I made with her. It was pretty vague in my mind.

. . . .

I woke up by a bird's chirping at the break of day. It was 6:30 am. I got up from bed and shuffled to the bathroom and began doing my morning routine. I still felt drowsy after waking up for 10 minutes. The bathroom door was an inch from closing but it closed automatically somehow with a huge thump. Assuming that it was the wind, I didn't pay much mind to it.

But, when I opened the door on the way out, a gust of unfamiliar air was blown in my face. Something felt different.

This wasn't the hotel.....