Chapter 33

BPOV

The next morning I was up and showered early, ready to face Edward. I put my engagement ring and debit card in an envelope, so I could give it to him. The plan was getting the rest of my stuff out of his house that night.

Even though I cried myself to sleep, I wasn't going to stop my life. I was sure I would cry myself to sleep many nights to come. Alice called me once she found out, and begged me to call her. I was sure I would talk to her within a few days.

I was going to call the doctor later in the morning and ask about a DNA test. I googgled it, and I found that it could be done. I didn't care if I had to be in pain to get it done, as long as the baby was unharmed.

With what I read it was safe, but costly. I knew Edward would waste thousands of dollars to find out. It would take only a few days to find out, but this was how it was going to be.

When I got to the office, Kate knew something was wrong, but she didn't say anything. I wasn't really ready to talk about it again either. When Edward walked in, I saw his jaw was bruised. I just acted like he didn't exist. I could feel him looking at me, but never looked up.

"Everything okay?" Kate asked.

"It will be," I said getting to work.

Kate made it a point to retrieve all the phone calls. I just didn't feel like talking and she knew it. When the doctor's office opened, I went to the bathroom to call.

They said they could do the test at my next appointment. I was happy about that, the sooner the better. The only down side was that Edward had to be with me. I wanted to be strong, so I made sure he wasn't in a meeting, and I headed to his office.

I had to stop myself from just barging in and interrupting. I knocked and when he said to come in, my heart dropped.

"We have an appointment on the twenty sixth to get the paternity test done. You need to be there, and I already fit it into your schedule," I told him after taking a deep breath.

"Okay, I'll be there," he said not looking at me.

I set the envelope on his desk and walked out. I knew this was how we were going to be until he found out that he was the father.

The day dragged. I never spoke to Kate, and she didn't push. I knew she could feel the tension. At the end of the day, I left pissed.

Edward had the audacity to ask me what my plans were for the evening. I glared at him and walked away. I didn't know if it was his way of trying to be nice, but I wasn't having it. I was doing what was best for me, and there was no him in that equation.

~SDN~

The day of my exam, Edward and I both left the office at the same time. The tension between us was so thick you could cut it with a knife. I had nothing to say to him, and I was sure he felt the same way.

I was sad. This appointment should be happy, and all I wanted to do was cry. He was my baby's father, and he didn't believe me. I couldn't even describe how I was feeling.

We should have been getting married the following day; not getting a test done to prove that he was going to be a daddy.

Charlie was able to get almost all his money back from the wedding. The only thing that couldn't be exchanged were the dresses. I told Charlie I would pay him back and he told me no. I argued with him, but he was as stubborn as I was. Little did he know, I would still try to pay him back somehow.

After three days of Edward and me not talking, Kate had finally asked me what was going on. I told her the short version, and she said she was going call off her trip. It took me hours to convince her that I was okay working for Edward. She said she felt bad for leaving.