Chapter 18: Reconnecting

It was the beginning of April.  Melanie was now nine months pregnant.  Jonathan was still in the hospital, but it sounded like according to the doctor, that he was recovering well, but recovering slowly.  Melanie and Levi had even managed to get Victoria out of the hospital a little more, but she still didn't want to be gone from her son for too long just in case. 

Melanie still stayed at the hospital most of the time with Victoria, to help keep her busy when Levi was called in for work.  The two of them were visiting quietly in the waiting room for awhile when they heard footsteps approach them.  The two girls looked up surprised to see Anthony standing there.  He had been busy with work lately, so Melanie hadn't gotten to see him as much as she used to.  A case had come up so he and Levi had both been quite busy.  But when Anthony had free time, he usually made sure to come and spend some time with Melanie.  Victoria smirked as she noticed Melanie give a small smile to herself.  The two of them had been hanging out a lot this last month, and Victoria wanted things to go well for her two friends.  However, she didn't want to mention anything for she was afraid that she'd jinx it, or accidentally cause something, so she chose to leave the topic be.  When Melanie and Victoria did get to visit, their subject consisted mostly of Jonathan.  They already had loads of ideas planned to do when him and Melanie's baby were old enough to play together.

Victoria was very certain, that by the time the baby was born, Melanie would choose to stay, along with keeping the baby.  Melanie cleared her throat when it had been silent for awhile.  "Anthony, what are you doing here?  I was thinking that you would still be at work."  Anthony gave her a small grin.  "It's five o' clock.  My shift is over.  Plus, the case I am working on is almost coming to a close.  I can't do anything now.  The rest is up to the judge.  Tomorrow they'll be giving a verdict."  He glanced over at Victoria.  "Levi should be following soon shortly."  Victoria smiled giving a nod of her head.  "Alright."  Victoria watched the two of them momentarily before speaking.  "I'm going to go check on Jonathan."  Melanie looked over at her friend and nodded.  Watching as Victoria headed down the hall to the ICU.  Anthony took the few steps over taking Victoria's spot.

"Don't suppose I can steal you away to get you out and about?"  He smirked.  Melanie raised her eye at him.  "But I've been out a few times already."  She slightly teased.  Anthony shook his head.  "I meant that I was hoping to take you someplace out for dinner?"  He asked.  He wasn't sure why, but he was feeling nervous, even though it wasn't exactly a date.  They actually hadn't had a real date since before Melanie found out she was pregnant.  Most of the other times were just..  Two friends hanging out.  Melanie gave a small nod of her head, not realizing that she didn't hesitate this time before choosing her answer.  "I think that sounds good.  Where are we going?"  Anthony smiled.  "I thought that we could do something a bit different.  We could head to my apartment and I can make us something.  You can choose what you want for dinner.  I'll get what I need to make the meal."  Melanie bit her lip slightly.  "Are you sure?  I don't mind if we go out.  Then you don't have to go through all that work."

Anthony gave Melanie a small smile.  He was rather surprised about the comment.  "I don't mind at all.  I want to cook something.  Whatever you want.  You name it."  Melanie glanced at him remaining quiet for a few minutes trying to think.  "Perhaps we could do some chicken with rice?"  She asked.  Melanie had named something simple so he didn't have to do too much work, knowing that he had been quite busy at the station as of late.  She wanted him to be able to relax too.  Anthony nodded his head.  "Of course.  When Levi gets here we can go.  I will have to get a few things at the store.  But I can drop you off at the apartment first."  He didn't want her to be doing too much strenuous activity.  As he knew the last month had been busy and tiring for her worrying about what was going to happen.  And she was on the last month of her pregnancy.  He wanted things to remain good for Melanie, and have less stress as possible, as she had already been stressful enough lately.

Once Levi had arrived at the hospital, Melanie and Anthony said goodbye to them to let them know they were heading out for awhile.  As soon as Anthony dropped Melanie off at his apartment.  She made her way upstairs and into the place.  She was feeling fairly tired suddenly.  The whole ordeal with what happened to Victoria had taken a bit of a toll on her.  But she didn't want to say anything, as she figured Victoria would start to worry about her again, and with Jonathan, she had enough already to worry about.  Melanie made her way over to the couch, lying on her back and letting out a small sigh.  After she had managed to find a comfortable position, Melanie closed her eyes, drifting off into a much needed sleep.