Chapter 4: The Truth Unfolds

After Melanie had left, Anthony was feeling frustrated.  He wasn't sure what to do anymore, and he didn't want to keep getting dragged into whatever this was when she was giving him mixed signals.  He let out a small sigh and flopped down into his chair burying his face in his hands, momentarily closing his eyes, trying to come up with some form of plan.  He didn't want to lose her, and though they hadn't been together for very long, or really even considered themselves as a couple yet, he cared for her, a lot more than he should when he knew how she felt about him.  He didn't think however, that she would ever be able to move on from what had happened before, and he wasn't sure how he could change her mind to get her to stay.  Or to change her mind in wanting to be with him.

He stood up after a few minutes, clearing the table before starting to make his way over to Levi's and Victoria's.  He knew that Melanie wanted to be the one to tell them, but he was given no choice, he needed to speak to them.  Ask them for advice on what to do.

At the knock on the door Levi glanced over at Victoria.  They had just finished dinner and had settled on the couch for a quiet evening to watch a movie.  He let out a small sigh.  "There goes our evening."  Levi mumbled.  "I'll get it."  He stood up and made his way to the door and looked surprised when he opened it to see Anthony.  "Anthony?  Is everything alright?  I thought you and Melanie were spending some of the evening together.  Is everything alright with Melanie?"  He asked realizing that she wasn't with him, yet she had left for his house about an hour ago according to Victoria, shortly before he got home.

"Melanie is fine."  Anthony muttered.  "Are you busy?  Can we talk?"  Levi wanted to tell him he was and that he and Victoria wanted to spend some time alone.  But he couldn't, he could sense that something was off.  Since Melanie was supposed to be at Anthony's, he was also growing quite concerned about her, where she was.  "Yes of course come in."  He stepped aside so Anthony could enter.  Anthony stepped inside then walked over to the kitchen table, sitting down on one of the chairs.  Levi closed the door then turned to face his friend.  He could see he looked rather troubled.  "What's wrong?"  He asked again.  Anthony glanced at him looking hesitant.  "I am not sure what to do."  He said quietly.

"About Melanie?"  Levi asked, though he knew it was obvious.  Anthony stayed quiet a few minutes trying to figure out how to explain to him.  "I just, I don't think this will work.  I've done everything I could, I'm just not reaching through to her.  Perhaps you were right, I should've left things be while she was giving me the easy way out.  The more I try, the worse things become."  He explained.  Maybe he could figure out a way to discuss it without telling them about the pregnancy.  He knew Levi was going to want to know what exactly was going on, but perhaps he could leave out a few details.  But he was also battling, since they were their friends, Anthony thought that they should know.

"I don't think Melanie is going to move on from what happened with her husband, so I think I should be going before things get anymore out of hand."  Levi was ready to speak when he heard Victoria's footsteps coming through to the kitchen.  The two of them were both surprised to see an angry expression on her face.  Anthony was unaware that Victoria knew of Melanie's pregnancy.  Or she thought she knew.  However, the test results she had retrieved were of the miscarriage.  Not the ones that were of recent.  "Like hell!  And what do you mean when you said he said you should take the easy way out?  Sometimes I don't understand you and Melanie's logic.  That's all you both seem to be doing as of late!  Taking the easy way out!  Well it doesn't work that way!  If you really want something, you're supposed to fight for it!"  Levi looked at Victoria, shocked at her behavior.  Letting out a small sigh.  "Victoria!"  He hissed.  "You can't exactly make someone be with someone they don't want."  Levi muttered.  He would be disappointed if it didn't work out, but unfortunately, with the way Melanie was behaving.  Levi thought Anthony was right.  He didn't want this to get blown out of proportion.  "Look.."  Levi was ready to explain a little when Anthony cut in.  "Excuse me?"  Anthony glared back at her.  The two of them were suddenly ignoring Levi and going back and forth.  "I HAVE been fighting for her Victoria!"  He growled back.  "She DOESN'T want me!"  He yelled not realizing his voice had raised a little.