Chapter 17: A Friend's Concern

It had been a couple of weeks since Victoria and Levi's baby had been born.  It was still in ICU, being taken well care of from some of the nurses.  The doctor had decided to go ahead with doing the surgery almost right away, as soon as he had been born after getting some of the paperwork done from both Victoria and Levi.  As he wanted to take care of the problem as soon as possible.  Victoria had been able to be released a few days after Jonathan was born.  But she decided to remain mostly at the hospital to keep an eye on her son.  They weren't able to visit him very long, but Victoria had wanted to remain there for when she could. 

Melanie and Levi would usually take turns staying at the hospital with Victoria, if Levi should be called into work.  Even sometimes when Levi was there, Melanie would remain nearby in case they needed her help.  She barely left the hospital except for to sleep.  Since Anthony was aware of what was going on, he of course did what he could to ask the other officers to help cover for him.  Unfortunately, that wasn't always possible, and he needed Levi's help.  So when those times came, Melanie would stay with Victoria.

Once Anthony was finished with work the one day, he made his way towards the hospital.  As he knew that Melanie was there, and it had been a few days since he had been able to stop and visit.  He always managed to speak with Levi when he could while at work to see how Jonathan was doing.  But he had also wanted to be there physically.  Melanie had been standing by the window of the icu room.  Watching Victoria sitting nearby Jonathan.  Letting her have her time alone with him since she didn't get to often.  As she heard footsteps approach her, she glanced over giving a small smile as she saw it was Anthony.  "Hey."  He said quietly.  "Hey."  She remained quiet after that turning to glance back at Victoria and Jonathan.  She felt Anthony suddenly wrap his hand around hers.  She entwined her fingers with his as she continued to stare straight ahead.  "How is she doing?"  He asked.

Melanie let out a small sigh shaking her head.  "She doesn't really say too much.  It sounds like the surgery was a success, but he still has a lot of recovery to do.  I'm worried."  She finally looked back over at Anthony turning slightly to face him better.  Anthony nodded.  "He does, but I think that he can do it."  This received a small smile from Melanie.  "Look at you being the optimistic one."  The smile turned into a small grin.  "I sure do hope that you're right."  She said quietly.  "I try to think that he will.  I try not to think of the alternative.."  She let the sentence trail off.  Anthony slipped his free arm around her waist pulling Melanie close to him as best as he could since she was eight months pregnant.  With given recent events, though he had tried hard to keep away from Melanie, he knew she needed him.  So did his friends.  They seemed to be becoming closer.  Though Anthony knew he couldn't become too close because of other reasonings, but this past month, he couldn't quite help himself with everything that had gone on.  He still felt that same feeling for Melanie, even though he had tried hard to hide it at first, tried hard to move on.  Anthony was certain that, though she wouldn't admit it, that Melanie was slowly starting to feel the same way about him as well.

Melanie glanced up at Anthony, slowly slipping her arms around his neck.  Mostly for comfort.  As she was too stubborn to admit the real reason.  Or perhaps it was a little bit of both.  Comfort and love.  "She has rarely left the hospital since Jonathan had been born.  Levi and even myself have both tried to get her out of the hospital even just for a little bit.  Just to even go out for something to eat.  But she won't leave him."  She turned her head slightly to glance back through the room's glass window, going quiet.  Anthony watched her closely.  "I am sure this can't be easy for you."  He said quietly.  "I am sure it is a reminder of what had happened with you.  I know you're worried about your friend, and your godson.  I am worried too."  Melanie looked back at Anthony taking a deep breath.  "If roles were reversed."  She nodded.  "I would be doing the same as Victoria.  I don't blame her.  For doing what she's doing."  She closed her eyes momentarily not realizing a few tears had managed to escape.  "If my child had any chance to survive at all, I would've done whatever it took."  She opened her eyes as she felt Anthony gently wiping the tears away.