23

Christen Ace Rodriguez has more secrets than the deserts of Egypt. He never stops until he gets what he wants. It is the first two things I came to know about him. We are currently making our trip back to the oasis. He said it will take two more days to reach.

Apparently, Mr. Rodriguez has much good sense of direction then any of us. He knows his way around this place.

All I can see is sand and it all looks the same. I was lucky that I escaped at night time. Would it have been day and I would never been able to find my way out of this place.

"The desert can be deadly." Mr. Rodriguez said. "We already know that sir" I said as we sat down after a long journey.

The wind was not strong. It was just hot. Ibrahim was on alert so was me. "Mr. Rodriguez I have something important to discuss" I said to him. He searched for something on my face for few minutes. Then he nodded and walked with me.

As soon as I saw no one can hear us I begin. "When I was with them I gathered some information" I said. He told me to proceed. "He revealed that he worked with Mr. Daniels and he may be involved with all the killings" I said.

"Anything else you know Miss Davis?" he asked narrowing his eyes. Should I tell him that he was involved with my father too or he is obsessed with some crazy idea of having me with him?

"Just that he wanted to kill you because of any reason which he didn't stated." I said. He chuckled dryly. "Many men want to kill Me Miss Davis I assure you he is not the only one." He said.

"But sir what if all of these are interconnected? Maybe they are working for one person or maybe they are just a group or something?" I suggested. "Now that's Miss Davis is something to look for" Mr. Rodriguez said.

"You are indeed women of many talents Miss Davis you knocked twenty of the bandits alone." He said. "And you also brought us supplies and information now how many women can do that?

I think if you did marry a noble man like James you may never will be able to show these qualities. Nor you can develop these further. However if you decided to stay with me as my assistant you may be recognize as the first women in history to master these skills" Mr. Rodriguez added.

"Spoken like a true businessman Mr. Rodriguez" I said crossing my arms over my chest. "You have no Idea how ruthless I can get when it comes to my company" he said. "I am not sticking around to find out Mr. Rodriguez sir. Soon I find my father soon I will walk out of here and you will never see me again" I said. "Is that you really want Love?" He asked. I looked straight into his eyes and said "Yes".

Rest of the day me and Mr. Rodriguez stayed out of each other's way. He is a manipulator and I can see that. He is good at reading people and he uses it as his advantage. I have no Idea why he hates the idea of me marrying James.

He wants you for himself and if you marry James he cannot get you

The scene from the hotel room flashed in front of my eyes.

"You will submit to me willingly"

Never.

I will never submit to him.

For him it's just a game but for me it is my entire life. My attempt will go in vein if I actually submitted to him. It will lead to heartbreak. And I am not ready to rely on someone as cold as him.

I watched the sun blinking over our head. It was hot. And the dry wind was making it hotter. James was by my side while Mr. Rodriguez was on the front with Ibrahim. "So Miss Davis If we survive this will you let me court you?" James said and I was shocked. "So you found out about the fake engagement" I said. "Yes I am his advisor I have to know Miss Davis" He said. "And beside this I know it all along" He added.

"How?" I asked. "Simple My lady You are too sweet to be with someone like Christen Ace Rodriguez" James said. "he is still your employer James" I said. "I know but you don't know that he is also my friend" James said

. "Oh" I said. So Mr. I don't need anyone Rodriguez do have friends. "So do you let me court you?" He asked. I looked at Mr. Rodriguez I can see his tense posture so he heard. "Not now if we get out of here I may think" I said. "That would satisfy me for now Milady" James said and we laughed.

That night when we made our stop we were hungry and tired. I sat down and helped James in cooking. I saw Mr. Rodriguez time to time. He was looking at me constantly. I felt myself blushing underneath his gaze.

"Are you alright?" James asked. "Yes I am good" I said. "You look different in these cloths" James pointed. "Good different or Bad different?" I asked. "Good Different" James said.

I took Mr. Rodriguez's food and placed it in front of him. He didn't say anything. He just held my wrist lightly. "Sit" he said. I sat down beside him. I started shivering from cold. He removed his coat and draped it around me. A thing which he is doing from sometime. "Thank you sir" I said. He nodded.

"Why didn't you accept James's proposal?" Mr. Rodriguez asked. "I have many thing in my mind now and courting is not one of them." I said. "Like?" He asked. "Saving my father" I said. "You don't think before you jump in this things right?" Mr. Rodriguez asked.

"When my close one is in danger I don't have time to think I just do it" I said. "So Can I consider me as your close one?" Mr. Rodriguez asked. "Sir, you are one of the closest people because I opened up to you and not even James knows why am I actually here. I never told anyone about my father except for you" I said.

"Do you need another?" James asked as we sat around the fire. I still have Mr. Rodriguez's coat draped around me. "No I am full" I said. James smiled. But I kind of longed to see Mr. Rodriguez's smile.

I never had seen one. But then again I never saw him vulnerable. Or amused. He never shows any emotion other than anger. But with me he cracks sometime.

"You are thinking so hard Miss Davis" I heard Mr. Rodriguez voice. "How do you know sir?" I asked. "Unlike you Miss Davis I observe the things around me." He said.

"Like what?" I challenged. "Like sun, desert, wind, stars and people" he said casually. So Mr. I am so rude Rodriguez can have decent conversation with a lady.

"So I am Mr. I am So Rude Rodriguez ? and last time I checked you said you aren't a lady" I thought out loud again. "You have a very bad habit of thinking out loud Miss Davis. I don't think my plans will be safe with you" Mr. Rodriguez said in a emotionless tone. But I sense something else a hint of playfulness maybe. I am just imagining things. "I saved you twice" I said. "And I let you board my ship your point is?" He said. Here we go again.

"Miss Davis wake up" I heard a person shout. Not just any person it was the Green eyed devil himself. "Good morning to you too" I said starching my limbs which are not surprisingly tangled with his. So I fell asleep during our argument. I tried to get up but I almost tripped and fall at top of him. His eyes met mine and I saw anger.

His green eye was darken in anger. But why? Why he is always so angry? "what I told you about touching me Mr. Davis?" He asked. "T...That not to touch you without your consent." I shuttered. I was afraid of him. He was not the playful Mr. Rodriguez. But he was the businessman everyone knows and fears. I pulled myself off him somehow.

I sat up and quickly scooted away from him. He didn't even looked at me once. What just happened? I looked at Ibrahim he was looking at me intently. I shrugged and I walked towards my ride for the day. We rode and I was not paying attention to anyone I was just lost in my thoughts.

I stayed silent and watched the sun's movement. No one questioned me. I was still shocked at this. One moment he was all hot and next moment he just coldly pushed me away from him.

Another layer wrapped around him and hid the little space I penetrated within them pausing me from going further. I saw everyone stopping and shouting. I don't know why but when I looked up I know it was dark clouds coming towards us. "sand storm" James shouted and I hastily made my way towards him.

Word Count: 1566 words