8

I woke up not tangled with him on bed. We slept separately on the beds side by side in his cabin. I looked up at his sleeping figure. He looks so harmless when he is asleep. His face looked so innocent.

The soft sunlight illuminated the soft features of his face like his full pink lips or strong jaw and the luscious locks that somehow found his way over his eyes. I was so tempted to push back the locks myself but it will just wake up the beast.

Suddenly his eyes opened and met my brown ones. See nothing is pretty about me and Cinderella was beautiful it's another different. "Staring is rude" he said in his sleepy voice. His sleepy voice it does something to me.

Just like when he is close to me all the rational thoughts flew out of my mind. "I wasn't staring at you I was thinking" I said. "what exactly?" he asked. "nothing that you should know about Mr. Rodriguez" I said.

"Christen...call me christen you are suppose to be in love with me and lovers doesn't address each other with last names do they my love?" His tone was challenging me like saying me to contradict him.

I shied and got up. "What I have to do today Mr. Rodriguez" I said and smiled sweetly. He shakes his head in disapproval. I am smiling at my triumph. Take that Mr. Rodriguez you can control me in public but that's because I chose to act civil with you. But no one can tame Katherine Davis. I am free spirit and I will not let myself get tied down with anyone.

"Right if you want to play this way love if you help me decipher these I will be pleased" He said handling me some papers.

I looked at the papers it was some language I don't know. It contains symbols mostly. "how can I decipher these I don't know the language" I said. "you are intelligent my love you will figure it somehow" he said walking out left me hanging out that way.

"that arrogant son of a..." I paused or more like the memory made me pause. Last time I tried to insult him he kissed me. I don't want to repeat the incident. It will be better if I figure some way out of this mess.

I looked at the symbols again and then I found something underneath all the paper it's a journal. I opened it up and there it was symbols with their meaning written in perfect English.

Then I looked at the text it was almost 20 pages long. So he has work cut out for me. At least I will get paid and it will be not as hard as the work I used to do back at home.

Few hour later I was still trying to decipher the code. I wasn't even halfway done. It is difficult then look.

Well I am trying my best it's not easy as fighting or hunting. It takes time patience and lots of brain. "How much time I need those notes to formulate the plan so I can give my workers the instruction when we d reach their." Mr. Rodriguez said coming inside the cabin.

He looked at me and said "you are not done yet? How much difficult it can be to decipher some symbols looking in the book I have gave you" he said. I looked up and said "well if it's so easy why don't you do it yourself?"

"Because I pay you for this" he said. "well you haven't paid me yet" I countered. "And besides I am just getting started Mr. Rodriguez" I added. He looked at me with his piercing green eyes. The look said don't test my limits.

"I can do it myself love but it will only prove my current theory my dear" he said coming too close for my liking. "What theory?" I asked. "That little girls like you meant to look pretty and stay homes under your father's protection." He said.

It was supposed to be a mockery but his tone was still icy. The time, from which I had known Mr. Rodriguez, I noticed one thing that never meant to change his tone. It remained harsh and cold. Sometime it becomes icier than usual.

It's like he doesn't know how to greet someone warmly or make them feel welcome. I can see what it will be for the person who will be his wife.

I can still feel his intense gaze on my back. No one us said anything. He just stood there hovering above me looking at my hands as I kept on deciphering the symbols. I can feel him breathing down my neck. And all the hairs on my hand and neck stood up. "Mr. Rodriguez if you can please sit down sir" I said.

"Why my love are you afraid of our closeness. Are you afraid that I can overpower you with my presence? Are you afraid of repeat of yesterday's events?" he asked leaning close to my ears and keeping his hands on my shoulders.

"n...no I am not afraid of you" I said slowly with the small amount of courage I can gather inside of me. I cannot let him or anyone overpower me anyway. "I deal with many person daily my love and I can easily detect the lies and their fears" he said kissing my cheek and then moving away. My heart was beating loudly.

I thought it will come out any moment. Why I decided to sneak on his ship? And why I have to run into him of all the people? Why he have to be so harsh and cold towards everything? Why I have to be stuck with him as his fake fiancée? And for the 100th time again why had I missed that ship?

I took the papers it was almost evening the skies started to turn darker. I missed breakfast and lunch today but it was worth it. At least I am done with the work for today. I walked out of the cabin and relax my sore muscles.

I haven't met him for training today at the basement. Not my fault tough I had been working for him.

I walked towards the kitchen where I saw James and few others were preparing for the celebration which I forgot about. I can then feel the weight of the ring on my finger. This fake fiancée thing is taking toll on me already.

"James can you tell me where I can find Mr.... I mean Christen" I corrected myself.

"Yes he would be in the Engine room. He is operating the ship" He said. I was about to go but James told me to be back because they are almost done and all is left to bake that pie which was promised to them by Mr. Rodriguez apparently.

"I will be back as soon as I gave him all these" I said going towards engine room wherever it was.

I walked up the stairs and found the door to the cabin adjacent to the engine room from where I can see him operating the wheel. I got inside and tried to shock him. He again beat me to it.

"Good thing you are done with the papers Katherine" he said and I nearly screamed. "How did you know?" I asked. "like you I am also man of many talents Miss. Davis and when you have enemies all around you, you need to be cautious" he said in a solemn voice.

I suddenly felt strange need to comfort him. But then again men like Christen Ace Rodriguez doesn't needs comfort. I looked at his posture. It was stiff and cautious. He always seems to access the whole environment he had been to.

Somehow it feels like he is afraid of everything around him. He cannot find anyone to trust at all. What can this man be afraid of? What could be bothering him? What did he meant by the thing he had enemies all around him?