Chapter 3: Mixed Emotions

(Sophia)

I feel like so many of my emotions are tied together into a huge lump that I can't seem to untangle. My thoughts feel like a river that's flowing through my head that has no plans of stopping. My head is dizzy from all the emotions running surging throughout my body. I'm constantly blinking to alleviate the insurgence all the emotions in my body. 

At the same time, I'm paying attention to the road ahead of me. I'm making the right turns and twists while at the same time trying my best to avoid any accidents. 

Eventually, when I get home, I can see that almost all the lights in the house are on. My parents' bedroom, the kitchen, and the living room are all illuminated. I need some condoling right now. I need someone to talk to at this moment. I just can't keep this in any longer. 

When I park the car outside my house, I scramble out of the car as fast as I can. I slam the car door behind me, and I quickly walk towards it. When I get out, the crisp October evening air hits my skin, in an attempt to cool me off and calm me down. I take deep breaths to help calm myself before I storm inside the house. 

As I open the door, the familiar, yet faint, smell of food wafts towards me, which I can't help but inhale deeply. I close the door behind me, and hear footsteps leading out of the kitchen, and into the living room. 

My older brother, Anthony, walks into the living room, clutching a tall glass of water. "How was tonight?" he asks. I purse my lips together, give him a simple shrug, and walk up the stairs. Anthony raises an eyebrow at me, and when I reach the top of the stairs, his eyes widen.

 "Oh no, something happened. What happened? You can tell me anything," he says, and I nod. 

"I will. But where are Mom and Dad?" I ask, and he sets his glass of water down. 

"Mom's on a conference call. Dad's out getting some last minute groceries. Now, tell me, what's on your mind?" He sits down on the couch. 

I sit along with him, and I just let it out. "Ray laughed along, and agreed, with an insult about my weight." 

Anthony's jaw drops like someone pulled it open with an attached rope. I nod a little bit to confirm that it is in, in fact, true, and he just shifts a little bit in his seat. "Wait, first of all, why is it such a big deal for you?"  

I raise an eyebrow. "Anthony, you know that my weight is a really sore topic for me. Do you not remember all the years of fat shaming, because of her? I just cut contact with her only last year, and I'm fresh out of it. Do you get-" 

He puts his hand up to silence me, and he nods. "No, I get you. Don't you worry. I get why it's such a sensitive matter for you. And I kind of agree with you. He knew that it's a sensitive matter for you, and he still laughed along with them, and confirmed it. But, at the same time, don't overreact. Don't make a huge scene out of this. Like, don't run around screaming and crying that Ray did that, but just keep things at a cordial level. Let him figure out that he did something wrong,."

I nod. "That's kind of fair, I guess. Thanks, Anthony." he pats my back. 

"Hey, no problem. Oh, and sorry that I couldn't see you before you left today. Evening classes, they're a pain in my ass. But you look gorgeous, and that just proves we both share the gene." 

I roll my eyes. "If you had the gene, then Diana wouldn't have dumped you for the MVP of the soccer team."

Anthony puts his hand over his heart. "Ouch. That hurt. My heart," he says, as he collapses towards the side of the couch, letting out an exaggerated final breath. 

I start to laugh uncontrollably. "I killed you with that roast. I wonder how the coroner is going to word the cause of death in the report." He continues to laugh along with me.