Chapter 2: The Masquerade Ball

Ah, the masquerade ball. The one occasion where our school successfully makes us bond with people from all walks of life. Where we, the males, go up to a masked female, of any sort, and we dance the night away, so that we can actually spend time with everyone amicably. 

Probably the only school dance that I am going to this year, other than prom. The others just blast bad music, with overpriced food and cheap dollar store decorations. With Pete and I attending, he knows how to annoy me by consistently yapping about it in my left ear as I try to do some homework for AP chemistry. 

"Oh gosh, I really don't want to get Sonia. I know she's going to criticize me about my clothing choices, for sure. Watch her whisper it in my ear as we dance, and I can't do anything about it as I'm stuck there for an hour," Pete says, while I roll my eyes. 

"There are literally 100 other girls in the grade. Why are you so focused on Sonia? Do you have a crush on her?" I ask, as I write down the chemical formula for something. Pete pretends to vomit on the table, while holding his throat and making retching noises. I start to laugh at Pete's overacting. 

"I think what I ate for lunch nearly came back up. Why would you suggest that? I don't need someone who will argue with me on why my dance moves aren't coordinated enough!"

I roll my eyes. "You're being dramatic. Sonia isn't that bad. If you don't get on her nerves." 

He gives me the, "really?" look. "Yeah, everything I do gets on her nerves. Asking her a math question? Gets on her nerves. Borrowing a pencil? Gets on her nerves. Breathing too loud? Gets on her nerves. Existing? It gets on her goddamn nerves. This isn't a win win situation here."

 I flip a page. "Well, to be fair, you've gotten on her nerves. by constantly teasing her about being Russian, insulting her blonde hair... do you want me to go on?" 

He rolls his eyes. "If you want. I'm too tired to argue with you." I roll my eyes. As I'm reading my book, Sophia comes over, with her textbook in hand. Her loose dark hair gracefully frames her face, with her deep brown eyes shifting to see all her surroundings. 

"Sonia's just checking out a few books. She needs to look at some things for college so that her personal essays are going to turn out fine. She really wants to go to Princeton with me so that we can ride out those four years together, and so that she won't have to cry herself to sleep every night with someone she doesn't know," she says, and I chuckle. 

"Fair enough. I really hope us 4 get into Princeton together. As much of a pain in the ass Pete is, I can't live without him," I say. 

Pete looks at me, and just goes, "awwww. You love me! Why don't we marry already?" Pete asks, as he puts his hand over his heart dramatically. I roll my eyes. 

"Sorry, bro. We both know that you're waiting for the day you and So-," I start, but he puts his hand up. 

"Continue that sentence, and I will vomit all over you and Sophia. Trust me, it won't be pretty. You don't want that to happen," Pete advises, and I nod. 

"Touche. Smart boy." I turn back to Sophia. "So, tell me, are you going to the masquerade ball?" 

She nods. "Of course. After all, it's the last one before I go to college. I want to make it the best one so far." 

I put a bookmark on the page I was reading and close it."I like that." the bell rings. I place the book in my bag, get up, and sling it over my shoulder. 

"I'll see you later, Sophia," I tell her, as she smiles. "See you too, Ray," she tells me, as she takes her things and walks out of the room. Pete gathers all his things and he walks with me.