The Thirty Sixth Secret - Fallen

Start from the beginning

"You know," Demetrius said suddenly, "You and Stephan look like you could be siblings. You guys related?"

"Yeah, cousins— effing Stephan, get this monster away!" Shane rotated around, moving behind me when Stephan brought the kitten closer.

I began to chuckle to myself as Demetrius rolled his eyes, scoffing in offense. "She's not a monster and her name is Gracie. Now, anyway, I need to get going; I left her food on your counter." He sent a smile my way before he was off down the stairs.

We entered Shane's apartment, and Stephan dumped the kitten into Shane's arms. He held it for a split second before shuddering, "God, feel like I'll break it. It's so tiny."

Then he dumped it in my hands.

I held her at an arms length, staring as she meowed. Then her paw settled over my hand and I panicked, dropping her. Landing on all fours, she sprinted for the door, which Stephan hurriedly shut.

Stilling, with one paw in the air, her eyes met mine. "Mrow."

"Meow," Stephan responded, "I'm sorry, girl."

"I can't take care of it," Shane said, "Honest. What if I step on it by mistake?"

I smiled to myself at the fact that he was somewhat afraid of cats, as I was, rather that simply not liking them.

"She!" Stephan corrected, "What do we do with her, then?"

"Take it with you guys."

"No," I rushed out. "I know nothing about cats and Stephan's not home most of the day. She might run away and I won't run after her."

Stephan reached for her food and poured the pallets into her bowl. The ball of fur ran toward it, meowing - in what I assumed to be, happiness.

"Lance?" Shane muttered.

My brows furrowed, "You mean ask him to take care of her?"

"Why not?"

"Doesn't he already have like ten cats?" Stephan exaggerated, plopping down on the couch and then wincing and tenderly rubbing his behind. "Ouch, dude, this is like sitting on bricks."

I chuckled under my breath while choosing to sit down more gently on the hard couch, it would hurt my ribs to jerk any way.

Shane clicked his tongue in annoyance, heading into his room, mood obviously deteriorated for some reason. "Get out if you're going to complain." 

"Keep the kitten here for the night and text Logan to ask him," I called out behind him. "I'm sure he'd say yes."

•          •         •

I tugged up the sleeve of the blue hoodie to my forearms, exhaling loudly as I walked along the sidewalk that day. Getting by without my motorbike was tough and more than anything; too hot. The heat of the afternoon sun shone down along my path, scorching everything in its rays— nonetheless, I didn't want to remove my hoodie, I hadn't yet bought myself a new leather jacket and going without one was strange, as though something was missing.

I'd left Shane's apartment earlier and walked back to Mason's home, but with him at work and Laurel to leave within the hour for hers, I'd be alone and without any possessions of my own, I was left bored out of my mind and decided a walk would do me good.

"Bad idea," I mumbled, swiping away stray strands of hair from my forehead.

Laughter drew my attention across the street, where a couple of teenagers were gathered, joking amongst themselves. My gaze drifted a few feet ahead of me, where a red car was parked, and my eyes locked with the male standing against it. Piercing eyes watched me like a hawk, scar prominent in the bright light of day; a cigarette was trapped between his fingers, hovering aside his mouth and a smirk curved his lips on seeing me still in my tracks.