Chapter 45

After saying their goodbyes to the family, Kristine drove them to the airport. Karlie was upset that she couldn't bring Joe back with them, but she knew it would be next to impossible to keep her puppy a secret from the neighbors, and pets aren't allowed in her building. So she left him at home with her parents, requesting daily updates and video confirmation they were taking care of him. After getting dropped off, they went through airport security without a hitch and quickly boarded their plane.

Taylor noticed her girlfriend had been acting a little strange ever since they left the house. She and Kristine carried most of the conversation in the car, while Karlie only spoke a handful of times. They had been sitting in silence for most of the flight; the model mainly staring out the window and bouncing her knee, which the songwriter has come to know is one of Karlie's tells that something's not right.

"Is everything okay?"

Karlie snaps out of her haze, turning to face the blonde beside her. "Yeah. Fine. Why?"

The songwriter furrows her brow, confused by the model's behavior. Her short clipped answer is a pretty good indication that something is indeed wrong. "I don't know." She shrugs. "You've been pretty quiet since we left the house." She waits for some kind of response, but Karlie's face remains unchanged. When she doesn't get any kind of response, she prods a little further. "Did something happen with your family?"

"No."

"Okay." The blonde nods. "Did I do something wrong?" She asks, unsure what else could be wrong.

That seems to finally grab her attention. "No. No." Karlie assures her, reaching over to grab her hand, squeezing it and resting it on the arm rest between them. "You have done absolutely nothing wrong." She whispers, bringing their hands to her lips and kissing the back of them. "I promise."

"Then what is it?"

Karlie sighs. "I've just got a lot of work coming up. And I guess I'm a little stressed about it." The model admits. "This vacation was a perfect getaway, but now there's so much I have to do when we get back."

"Is there anything I can do?"

Karlie shakes her head, kissing the blonde's knuckles she still hadn't let go of, smiling at her thoughtful girlfriend. "But thank you."

"Of course." The songwriter smiles, leaning in for a soft kiss.

Before they knw it, the New York City skyline comes into view, indicating they were finally home. Luckily their flight was only about half full, so it didn't take them long to exit the plane. The girls grab their bags from the luggage carousel, linking their hands as they head towards the front entrance. Unfortunately for them, their first dose of reality is standing just beyond the doors, waiting for them.

Karlie squeezes her girlfriend's hand, pulling her closer to try and shield her from the oncoming assault. She just hopes their car is close.

"How was your trip Karlie?"

"Did you have a good birthday?"

"Did you do anything fun?"

"How's the family?"

The model's eyes are scanning the long line of cars, looking for a black Toyota Highlander. She finally spots the car when she hears one of the paparazzi ask something that makes her freeze.

"Did you two get engaged?"

She doesn't even have time to process where they would come up with such a ridiculous question before the others jump all over the idea, firing off more insane questions.