Chapter 9: The Nest Part 1

Your POV

"The parasite, is building a nest. And it's a big one. The infection seems to come from..."

"Son of a bitch!" Thermite exclaimed while he was messing around with the explosives package. After a four hour nap and an MRE to reenergize myself I rejoined briefing, where Ash had just received major news about the infection.

"Jordan?" Ash looks to her colleague, who tries to shake off whatever happened to him.

"We're good."

"Seriously? Briefing is in a minute and you're already taking apart the explosives package."

"Hold your horses Eliza, just making sure they got it right." He replied in which Ash scoffed and looked away from him. It's then that the screen in the briefing tent flashed with an incoming call. Ash answered it and it revealed Six in her office back at Hereford.

"Cohen. Status?" She began in a monotone voice. Despite the dire situation Six manages to keep herself in order. Something her and I have in common.

"For starters ma'am, the nursery that is being built by the parasite seems to be apart of its ability to adapt to our containment efforts. This is what attacked Lucifer's field unit a few hours ago." Ash then displayed pictures captured from my helmet's built in camera. It showed the horde of Grunts that attacked us.

"Now those, are some pieces of work." Jordan comments while joining Ash. Six silently listened and motioned for them to continue.

"Your turn." Ash nudged him and he cleared his throat before continuing.

"Right. With ongoing field operations we can't launch any fire missions or predator strikes. So, we're gonna barbecue the nursery with these prototype nanothermite charges. You don't care that I say barbecue right Six?" He looks to our Director. Who says nothing and looks at him with a blank look. He chuckles nervously before looking away.

"The target, Six, is a hotsprings resort. There a team will deploy the charges on weak points and collapse the building, destroying the nursery in the process." Ash said and concluded the presentation.

"Right. And who are you sending in for this mission Cohen?" Six finally spoke.

"It's still up for debate on who's going, but you don't need to tell me that we're on a tight schedule. I know." Ash responded and Six nodded.

"Continue your duties with vigilance and perseverance Operators. Remember, the world is counting on you. Stay safe, Six out." And with that the call ended. Ash looked among us.

"Because of what happened with Lucifer, Smoke, and Buck's mission we have to send a team of only three to minimize casualties. Any volunteers willing to go?" Ash asked and no one really raised their hands. I decided to raise mine because it was a bit dull here in camp. That and despite what happened hours prior, I'm curious as to how this parasite functions.

"Olivier and I will go with him." Lera volunteers and Lion only shakes his head. I don't understand what his problem is, but I could care less. We're here to prevent this whole thing from going FUBAR, not to make friends.

"Alright, gear up and get to the helipad, nose up in ten." Ash told us and we all got up to go to get our equipment. Going back to my tent I assembled my gear, strapping in my armor and securing my helmet around my head. As I was about to leave to go to the armory and grab my weapons, Ernesto came in.

"Y/N, you sure you want to do this?" He asked and I nodded, proceeding to leave. But when I tried to walk past him he grabbed my arm. "Please be careful. After hearing what happened out there, it's peligroso. Dangerous."

"Stop worrying so much Ernesto...I'm not a child." I told him and he looked surprised, but nonetheless let go. Leaving him behind I walked to the armory where Finka and Lion were already gearing up.

"Did you pack extra filters? We don't know if this thing is airborne." She asked her comrade, who nodded as he strapped on his mask to his balaclava. She then looked to me and had a small look of confusion. "What about you Y/N? Where's your mask?"

I shook my head and put my helmet on my head, securing it and hearing it click into place with the chestplate.

"Onboard air filtration system." I told them while grabbing my weapons. Going with my Benelli M4 and thinking to switch up my sidearm, looking down at a .44 magnum already in my holster. One that was important and dear to me.

"Hurry up you two. This parasite or this nest won't destroy themselves." Lion told us as we walked out towards the motor pool. But before we reached a truck, Jäger called out to us.

"Hey! You three! Come on, I'm taking you into the hot zone!" We all we're confused for a moment before walking over to Jäger, who had his goggles off and a smirk on his face.

"What the hell are you doing here, kraut?" Lion rudely said to him. He frowned in response but ignored the French operator.

"I would punch you know, but can't. Right now matters are strained between us and the Americans. So we're on our own, and since no one wanted to pilot you three into the hot zone, I'm doing it. Get on, before someone decides to steal my baby." Jäger got into the pilot seat, while the three of us got into the back. As we took off, Finka nudged me on the arm.

"Hey, that Devin man seems, sketchy. Do you and your brother know him?" Finka asked, and I didn't know what to tell her. With the time I worked with her she has learned what my body language says about me. With a firm nod, she understood and kept quiet.

"We're getting close to the landing site, get ready!" Jäger shouted over his shoulder. Checking my weapons, I made sure my M4 was ready, knowing that the revolver was already loaded. When we touched down, we got a look at the resort. It was covered in the growths, and from there we could see the infected. "I'm setting you down a few blocks from the target, too many of those things. Good luck you three, don't die."

We left the helicopter and Jäger quickly pulled out. Signaling for them to move, we walked in the direction of the resort, checking our corners for infected. Surprisingly, we saw none on the way to the resort.

"Resort approach confirmed. Find those weak points and set the charges. Be prepared for heavy resistance. Kick some ass you three." Jordan told us over coms.

"With pleasure." Lion chuckled darkly, and I didn't want to admit it but...

I agreed with him.