SIX

MIA'S POV

Today we'll be visiting my other grandparents. My dad didn't seem to keen but my mom forced him to go.

So here we are, my mom knocked on the door. We waited for a while before it flung open revealing my grandmother.

She smiled, "What a suprise! Come inside." We sat down and she brought out her homemade ginger cookies and some tea.

She smiled at my brother and I, "How are you two? Mia you're looking so beautiful. Matthew, wow your getting so handsome." He chuckled, "Thanks grandma." I smiled.

My grandfather was shocked to see us. He was so shocked that he phoned my aunt Emily.

Within nanoseconds she was pulled up in the driveway. She saw my dad and immediately embraced him in a hug.

My mom smiled as she got pulled into the hug. My dad chuckled, "It's been so long Em, how are you?" She smiled, "I'm great. Wow, your starting to look old. Milea, girl you've still got it." My mom chuckled, "Thanks hun."

My grandfather turned to Aiden, "Son, it really has been to long. I've missed you." My dad nodded, "Yeah, agreed. I've missed you too." My grandfather turned to my grandmother. "Layla, where'd you put the letter?" My grandmother sighed but probably went to fetch the letter.

My dad furrowed his eyebrows, "What letter?" My grandfather shook his head and sighed, "Aiden, your dad has been diagnosed with lung cancer. It's not that serious yet as they picked up the issue pretty quickly. Although he has been extremely moody these days and he has his sudden outbursts again."

My dad sighed and ran his hand through his hair and asked gently. "Why didn't he tell me?" My grandmother handed him the letter and Emily asked. "Aiden, when was the last time you reached out to us? Nevermind dad. You've been so distant lately, that I had to find out by Claire that you guys are back here."

My dad sighed, "Milea, did you know?" My mom froze, "That's why I made us come down here for a holiday."

Matthew and I made eye-contact. My grandmother could sense the tension, "Darlings, why don't you come with me and aunt Em and help us prep some breakfast." We nodded and followed them.

-Later-

We got back into the car and left. I said slowly, "Why don't we go and visit your dad, dad?" He shook his head, Matthew sighed, "It would have been amazing to see him." My mom nodded, "Aiden, I think we should go and see your dad." He turned to her and scanned her facial expression, which seemed neutral to me but clearly not to my dad.

He then drove to his dad's house.

When we got there my grandmother opened the door. She hesitated but welcomed us in anyway.

My dad ran a hand through his hair, "How's my dad?" My grandmother sighed, "His not well Aiden. His in his room upstairs." My dad nodded.

My grandmother turned to Matthew and I, "Wow, it's been a long time since I've seen you too." We smiled.

My dad ran upstairs to see his dad. Clearly things didn't go well, as I heard them shouting at each other.

I turned to my mom who gave me a tight smile. She then ran upstairs to my dad.

My dad then came running downstairs with my mom trailing behind him.

He looked at us, "Let's go." Matthew looked at me, "No. I want to go and actually socialise with him." My dad was about to say something but my mom cut him off, "Alright, Mia go with him." I nod and follow my brother upstairs.

He knocks on the door before opening it.

My grandfather is sitting up but he stares at us as we walk inside.

"Uhm, hi." I awkwardly blurt out. Matthew stares at me, "Are you comfortable gramps, or do you need to adjust how your sitting?"

My grandad stared at us, "No I'm fine, thank you." We nodded.

He sighs, "What brings you two here for me?" I stare at him, "Well, we don't come here much, and we don't see you often."

He shook his head and chuckled, "Is it because you know I'm dying? Is that why all of a sudden you care?" I furrow my eyebrows, "We've always cared." He narrows his eyes at me, "Then why'd you never reach out to me?" "We have, maybe not our dad but Matthew and I have always tried to reach out to you. Also, you've never tried reaching out to us."

He looks at Matthew, "Son, can you please go and fetch me a glass of water?" Matthew nods and does what he's told.

My grandad takes a moment before staring up at me, "Can you tell your father that I'm sorry for what I said. I love him with all my heart." He started tearing up, "His my son no matter what happens."

I stare at him and smile. I make my way to him and hug him. "I will most definatly do so. I'll let him cool of first before telling him." My grandfather kissed my forehead just when Matthew walked in.

He sighed, "What did I miss?" I glanced at my grandad who stared at me, "Nothing." Matthew nods.

My mom walked in and smiled, "Time to go. Gramps needs to rest." We nodded and said our goodbyes before leaving.