[ le marais at night ]

. . .

Chewing the cheese-filled croissant slowly, MiYeon maintains a subconscious focus towards the couch. Her mind is in a daze as her mouth leisurely takes tiny bites on the bread. 

Her head may be filled with thoughts, but they are empty at the moment. 

The crippling plastic used to conserve proper oxygen for the bread woke Jin up. He's been staring at the ceiling after noticing his wife eating bread by herself. She's halfway finished and isn't aware of the awaken man behind her. 

His body is sore, as usual. The long desired nap ameliorated the soreness on his shoulder blades. 

Alongside the wonderful rest was the unpleasant thin layer of sweat, but it doesn't smell horribly as he thought it would. MiYeon made sure to clean all their clothes with refreshing softeners that lasted at least a week. The smell lingers around and his odour isn't susceptible to the nostrils. 

She chews the bread with lingering gaze towards the evening city. Her back is slightly slumped forward. 

Jin stands up and waddles on his knees towards his tranced wife. She felt the weight of the bed alter from the shuffles. Her mind instantly returns to her surroundings when Jin wraps his swollen arms around her waist. Allowing his head to rest on her shoulder, she sits up straight and stares at the remaining bread. 

She could feel his radiating heat body cling onto her back. 

"Honey ..." His exhaustion is evident in the dragging tone. Even after staring at the ceiling for a good two minutes didn't do him good. He is still languished from yesterday's crowded walk at the Louvre museum. Jin's mind was somewhere too. 

They brought home some souvenirs, of which included magnets, stickers and shirts. Other items would only add more weight than they intended to bring. Besides, they're trying to save money and only buy important items that'd last for a long time. Other occasions were for their stomachs. 

"Let's ... eat outside ..." His voice drawls out into a whisper and she shoves the end piece of the croissant in her mouth. MiYeon hums in response but doesn't get up. Jin was still latched on to her back. 

"You smell ... nice ..." Jin mutters to himself and draws in a deep inhale of her neck. The scent of warm bread, risen yeast and cheese linger around her body. His lips faintly graze her nape. She almost flinches at the contact. 

If she said she didn't like this sensation, she'd be lying. 

She snatched another bread encased in plastic packaging hidden in the loose sleeve of her shirt and hands it to Jin, "Here ... to partially fill your stomach. I know a place nearby."

He accepts the bread and detaches his body from MiYeon. 

By the time Jin fully accustomed to his senses, he quickly went for a thorough shower. He leaves his hair to dry naturally, but the wife wasn't having it. She's afraid that he might catch a cold. She volunteers to dry his hair using a small towel. 

They sit on the edge of the bed and she gently rubs the cotton towel on his wet head. 

All of a sudden he misses his sugar gliders back home. He releases a strained sigh, inducing MiYeon to pause. She pulls the towel away from Jin and he glances up at her. 

They didn't need words to ask what was wrong. She checks for the temperature on his forehead and cheeks. Jin shakes his head. He was feeling just fine. He isn't sick at all. 

Jin reaches for his chest where his heart is located and pats the area there. 

"I miss my pets." He pouts.