Chapter 164: What An Exhausting Night

Start from the beginning

     "Nonsense. All apostles are my enemy."

     "W-We are apostles of the Goddess of Winter, who favors you!"

     "So?" I pulled the restraints on them tighter, white loops sinking through the ground like they were staked there. The man did not look like he could stand the tightness and was breathing like his lungs were about to expire. "Are you stupid enough to think that, just because I'm favored by your goddess, that makes us on good terms instantly?"

     "We were sent-" the apostle gasped, but her ribcage was too constricted to take in more air "-to quell this summoning, because you have not been active as of r-recent-"

     "So you borrow my name and throw it around as you please? Did you think I would not find out? Did you think I would not be upset when I found out?"

     "We are deeply apologetic, Order, for we only meant to use the influence of the name to put fear into the Demon summoner-"

     "You recognize the weight of that name and dare to take it on as your own?"

     "N-No!" the man finally spoke up. The word "claustrophobia" came to mind when looking at his blank eyes. "No, we wouldn't dare..."

     "Kiki Nazira."

     "Yes, Master?"

     "Were you aware of this?"

     My familiar bowed her head while standing beside me, sliding sly, slitted eyes to the apostles on the ground. "I was, Master. It was what I attempted to contact you about earlier."

     "You did say some apostles were stirring up trouble in the capital, I remember. What kind of trouble?"

     "The Church has been attempting to take credit for your work while you've been away, Master. At first, the capital's people and members of high society scoffed at this, seeing how the Church excommunicated you and His Majesty almost two years ago, but the novelty of 'recently-descended' apostles claiming your name has made them swallow this falsehood curiously. Without you around to dispute the claim, the apostles run rampant under your good credit. Despite His Majesty attempting to dissuade them from accepting the falsehood, the sly word of divine authority has swayed the blind sheep, and the Church grows in influence."

     "...hah."

     I could look at her face and see the bitter expression there, and guess the extent of the damage already. I could also guess why she hadn't done anything so far.

     "Let me guess," I sighed, reaching my hand out to her and letting us exchange memories. My smile grew just a bit tearful at the thought of everything I'd built, crashing down. "They thought for sure that I would lose the fight with him, didn't they? So beyond just controlling me with that, they thought they could take my power for themselves with that, and it would be game over?"

     Thanos.

     The [Monitor of Light].

     The contract that would've made me their slave for all eternity if I'd lost.

     But because I didn't lose, their plans were thrown into disarray. Now, while they don't have complete obedience from me, they have partial, because of the [Monitor of Order] they slipped on while I was sleeping.

     Yes, Master.

     "Haha..."

     "Master, I beg of you, please do not be upset here. It would not be good if you ruined your image or the terrain any further."