Chapter 26

I hear a faint beeping sound. My mind feels fuzzy. I try to open my eyes. I squint at the bright light and close my eyes for a second longer. "You awake?" I hear a familiar voice ask. I nod slightly, opeing my eyes a little wider. I see a dark haired guy lean over me. I look into his blue-grey eyes and smile. He smiles back. "You scared me." he says, stroking my hair. My eyebrows crease and I frown. I look down at the area around. Blue curtains hang around the bed I'm laying on. I look over at the numerous machines and wires attached to me.

"Am I in hospital?"

"Yeah"

I look down at my arm, wrapped in a bandage. I close my eyes, remembering the events that have happened. "I'm so sorry." I croak out.

"You don't have to be sorry." I open my eyes and move my head to the side to get a view of Jax, he holds my hand in his.

"I don't know what came over." I shake my head.

"You don't have to explain." He gets up and leans over me, placing a gentle kiss on my forehead, I close my eyes, to relish the contact.

"What did you tell them?" I ask scared that he might've spilled something.

"I told them that you cut yourself, with a knife, while cooking."

"They believed you?" I raise my eyebrows.

"Yeah, I guess my looks paid off." He dusts off his shoulders and I laugh at how weird he is.

"Thank you."

"You're welcome."

The sound of the curtains opening brings my attention elsewhere. A nurse comes in and once she sees me, her smile widens.

"Look, who's awake," Kathleen says, she's one of my mam's co-workers who stopped by our house a few times.

"Hey, Kathleen." I smile.

She walks over to me with a clipboard in her hand. "I'm just going to check a few things, like temperature, pulse rate and your blood pressure."

I nod in understanding, and she gets to work, first applying the cuff from the blood pressure monitor on my arm. The cuff is wrapped around tightly, she presses a button on one of the machines, and the cuff begins to tighten. When my arm begins to feel too tight, it suddenly releases, the machine beeping.

"Just a little low, but that is expecting with the blood-loss." She assures me and goes onto taking my temperature. "I called your mother to let her know you were here."

Immediately I snap my head towards Jax who's eyebrows are creased.

"What did she say?" I ask.

"That she's out of town and she told us to let you out once you get better." she says while putting this plastic thing on my finger, enveloping it while emitting a red light. "And she says that she misses you and she said to get well soon. Oh and that she loves you." Kathleen pinches my cheek. I divert my eyes to Jax, who's rubbing his face with his hands, clearly as confused as I am.

I smile at Kathleen, "Thank you."

After a few minutes, Kathleen leaves. I wait a few seconds before speaking.

"What the fuck?" Jax speaks up before me.

"What if she's actually at home?" I hope. "What if this was all a dream?"

"Well, that means I'm in a dream too or you're going insane," Jax says looking at me. "Maybe I should've put her in a psych ward." He whispers under his breath. I grab my pillow from underneath my head and throw it at him. He puts up his arms, defending himself.
"I heard that," I say as I hurtle another pillow at him.