Chapter 10

"Oh you're Maya's boyfriend." I hear my mother's voice.

Before he has a chance to answer I run down the stairs and stand beside him. I look up to meet his confused stare with my urgent glance. His hair looks messier and he's wearing bright red runners with grey sweatpants and a t-shirt with his biceps protruding out, I observe, before I get too distracted I begin to speak.

"Hey, Babe." I say to Jax as I reluctantly embrace him. His arms wrap around my body I flinch a little at the feeling of a guy's hand around me. As we break apart. I look into his dark brown eyes silently pleading him to play along.

"Hey." He smirks at me. I smile.

An audible sigh escapes my mother. I look over and see her gushing.

She turns to Jax "Did Maya tell you about Friday?"

"No I don't believe so." he answers while looking at me.

"I forgot." I explain to my mam. Funnily enough I actually did forget.

"No worries." she starts. "You can have dinner today, I would like to get to know the guy that's dating my daughter.Would you like to stay and have dinner?" she smiles brightly looking at me and then turns to Jax waiting for an answer.

"I don't-" I begin but get cut off by Jax.

"I would love to." He answers.

"Oh how great." My mam claps her hands together like a small child having just heard that she can have waffles for breakfast. "You two can go upstairs and I'll call you when dinner's ready."

"Okay" I say while Jax nods.

"So I guess I have a girlfriend?" Jax asks when we reach my room and I take a seat on my bed.

"Not really." I say. He nods and his eyes travel my room. He stops at the blanket covered mirror. I look down at my hands rested on my lap.

"Nice room." he breaks the silence.

I look up and notice that he's still standing. I pat the space next to me and he takes my offer sitting beside me. I'm fully aware of the guy sitting next to me, I start to feel a bit uneasy but quickly snap myself out of it.

"I should probably explain." I tell him. His eyes urging me to continue.

"One night I went somewhere-" I pause unsure what to say or what lie to come up with. But maybe I don't have to lie, because for maybe the first time since that night I don't feel the need to.

"I didn't know where I was. It was a bad place. I didn't like it." I take a sharp intake. I look over at him not expecting him to be looking my way at all but he is and he's listening. Suddenly I'm lost in his eyes. His dark eyes which hold a glint in them, that comes and goes. I can see that his breathing has picked up by his chest moving up and down rapidly. A feeling washes over me. A new feeling. I suddenly want to tell him everything and not just withhold the truth. I want to say that my purity had been stripped away without my permission. That I've been in pain ever since.

"S-s-someone did s-something" I stutter trying to get the words out but as I open my mouth to speak again a voice says If you tell your mother dies. Instantly I sit straighter clicking into my sense.

"Basically I went out and came home very late." I say louder than I should have. He looks taken aback by my sudden change in mood. "I told my mam that I had a boyfriend. Then a couple days after we talked, my mam asked about my boyfriend's name and your name just came out of my mouth." I rush to tell him. "I'm sorry to drag you into this." I say more softly.

"It's ok I don't mind." His voice soothes me.

We sit in silence for a bit. I'm looking at my door which has a coat hanger on it studying my jackets and handbags thrown onto it. After I quit looking at that I move my eyes over to his but his are pointed downward. I follow his gaze which lands on my wrist. Suddenly petrified, I pull down my sleeve my heart going wild. He saw, he definitely saw. Oh God. What is he going to think of me? What is he going to do? What is if he tells someone. I don't want anyone to know.

My thoughts are interrupted by my mam shouting Jax and my name to come down to dinner.

I sheepishly look over at Jax, embarrassed.

"Let's go." He simply says, his smile lighting up his facial features.

Dinner went by quick. We were all chatting. My mam and Jax were hitting it off. They're acting like friends. My mam told Jax our life story leaving some bits out. Important bits out about my dad and her battle with cancer. Which is understandable. She didn't pester us too much about how we got together or any other information which I was super grateful for.

"I should go, It's getting late." Jax starts to stand up.

I stand up as well and follow him into the hallway, my mam trailing behind us. Jax turns around and looks at my mam.

"Thank you for having me, it was a pleasure." he says formally.

"Anytime." she answers.

All three of us stand in awkward silence. As I was starting to wonder if he was ever going to leave my mother chips in. "Oh sorry I'll go." she says quickly. "You two can say your goodbyes." she nods her head at the two of us and as she leaves she turns around and gives me a wink. I instantly feel my cheeks heating up. I look up to Jax who's cheeks are flushed. How cute.

"Sorry about her." I say.

He looks at me. "You've nothing to be sorry about, she's great." he gives me a full smile.

"Thank you for playing along." I say in a hushed voice.

"Not a problem, if you need me, I'm next door."

And with that, he exits my door giving me a smirk before he closes the door. I forgot that he's my new neighbour.

--------------------------------

I want to know your opinions on Jax and the book so far.

Hope you enjoyed xx