Chapter 4

"Hey where did you go yesterday after lunch?" Maddy asked. "You never came back."

The memory of sitting on the toilet entered my thoughts.

"I got caught up with Haley." I lied. Again.

"HALEY?" Maddy screamed in my ear so loud that I jumped a little.

"Eh yeah." I said looking down.

"But you haven't spoken to her since.." Maddy paused. "a long time."

Haley was my best friend in primary school. We were like sisters. She lived in the estate next to mine and I would go to her house practically every day. When she moved we stopped talking.

It was probably for the best. She's kind of known as the "slut" now. I never believed any of the rumours around school. Some people say that she even had sex with Mr.Clay, he's the youngest male teacher in our school and most girls and maybe even guys have a crush on him. I am one of the few who do not, and because of it Maddy reminds me of how my taste in guys are awful.

"Yeah, I know. It was just a little catch up." I said.

"Okay then" Maddy looked at the ground a bit.

I reached out. "Hey, you ok?"

She snapped her head up "Yeah.Why?" she asked confused.

"Just worried about my best friend that's all," I say smiling.

She smiled back at me and we walked to Chemistry. Luckily we have this class together.

"Everyone settle down now." said Mr.Fitzpatrick.

Maddy and I took our usual seats at the back of our classroom.

"Today I'm doing something a bit different." He began. "We're going to switch partners."

The whole class groaned. I turned my head to Maddy where a look of disgust was plastered on her face.

"And... I get to pick!" Mr.Fitzpatrick said excitedly.

A chorus of no's went along in the classroom. He instructed us all to stand in a line at the back of the lab. Many people were still giving out about the situation. Including Maddy who was beside me. I wasn't pleased either but I don't have the energy to give out. Mr.Fitzpatrick began assigning seats and partners. Maddy was given a partner first, then it was Esther, she's such a confident person being around her is intimidating. I haven't had a proper conversation with her. She seems nice enough.

As the number of people started to decrease I started to panic. What if I have no partner? What if I don't get a seat? What if I embarrass myself? Before I could let my thoughts cloud my mind further. The sound of a slammed door travelled through the class. I looked up and I recognised the face. He's the one that asked me if I was ok. I bit my tongue nervously.

"Ahh perfect." Mr.Fitzpatrick started. "Now we have an even number."

I looked around,  everyone was in their seats except for me. I didn't realise that I was standing alone. I went to sit at the last empty desk. I heard the chair beside me scrape the floor then a body sat on it. I stayed still, staring at the desk. I can feel my head starting to pound. I can't breathe. Why can't I breathe? I try to suck in air but nothing is going into my lungs, my eyes are starting to well up. No please no.

"Hey you ok?" a male voice asked

NO, I AM NOT OK

"Yeah," I say through my shortness of breath.

"Can you look at me?"

My face scrunches up.

"No," I reply.

"Please," his voice sounded so soft it took me by surprise.

I looked up into his light blue-grey eyes. His expression didn't change even when the tears started to escape my eyes uncontrollably.

"Sir" he began "She isn't feeling well, I'm going to bring her to the nurse."

"Ok just make sure to catch up on the work," Mr.Fitzpatrick said.

I looked at the mysterious guy guiding me out of the classroom, hand in hand, surprise etched on my face.

"I'm not going to the nurse, I'm not sick." I said.

He looked at me smiling.

"I wasn't actually going to bring you to the nurse, you know." He said "You just looked like you needed to get away. So here we are" He gestured with his hands to the field.

"Ehm thanks," I said awkwardly as I stood rubbing my arms up and down.

"And... I wanted to know who you are"

"I'm Maya"

"I'm Jax," he said cheerfully "Nice to meet you, Maya." He held out his hand and I reached out hesitantly and shook it.

--------------------

It's such a boring chapter. I'm so sorry about that.  The next chapter's better I promise.