Chapter 15

"Hey Mam." I say, entering my house, letting my mother know that I'm home. I don't hear a reply. I sigh and start walking up the stairs until I hear laughter. I turn around and walk into the kitchen, it's empty except for the dishes piling up at the sink. Just as I was about to walk away but I see a figure for a split second outside in the garden. My heart beat quickens. I walk to the wooden door at the end of the kitchen leading into the garden. I open it and I'm instantly met by Jax looming over me with a plate in his hands. I stay in my place, shocked. The sun shining on him from behind makes him look like an angel. He grins.

"Hey," he says softly. His voice sounding silky.

"Hey," I say breathlessly. Oh God, what is wrong with me.

Jax moves to the side to let me pass into the garden. I whisper thanks under my breath. I spot my mother lounging on the sunbed, wearing denim shorts that go down to right above her knee and a white tank top. Her dark sunglasses shielding her eyes from the sun.

She doesn't notice I'm here. I call her and finally, she sits up.

"Hey, sweetheart," she says bubbly.

"Do you want ice cream? There's some in the fridge."

"Sure."

I walk back up to the kitchen. Jax is still there, his back facing me. He seems to be washing the dishes. Wait. Why is he even here? How could I totally miss that thought?

I walk over to the fridge and pull out an orange ice-pop. When I turn back, Jax is looking straight at me.

"Do you want one?"

"Sure, but after I wash these." He gestures at the pile of unwashed dishes.

"You don't have to do that." I walk over and stand beside him. "I can do it."

"It's fine. I'll do it."

He interjects before I can say anything. "Oh, you left your bag at my place, It's in the living room."

"Thank God, my phone is in there."

"Yeah, it's been vibrating a lot."

I leave him to do the washing as he seems not to mind. I walk into the living room and see my black bag sitting on the sofa. I grab it and rummage through, I find my phone. I unlock it and literally, all my missed calls and texts are from Haley. She's the best. I'm so glad we're back friends. I got one voicemail. I click into it and place my phone to my ear. I instantly get shivers down my spine as I recognise the deep low voice. I start to feel nauseous. I continue listening.

"Finally you're dressing how a whore would dress. That tight dress" He pauses. "So slutty. Your boyfriend isn't going to save you. Once he finds out what you really are, he'll run far from you. You nearly told again. Haven't you learned your lesson? I guess not... Until we meet again." and it's over. I hear a bang against the wooden floor. My phone lays on the dark wood floor.. I didn't realise I dropped it. I put my hands to my head, begging this to be a dream. Please be a dream, I don't know if I can do this any longer. I pull at my hair in frustration. He's stalking me. He knows where I live. I look down at my dress. He's right, I do look slutty. I groan and run up to my room. I faintly hear my name being called but I ignore it and go straight to my bathroom door and lock myself in there.

I prop my body against the door. Tears start to spill out of my eyes. When do I actually not cry? My thoughts race over everything. Even the stupid details. I start remembering everything but in a different way. It's all gloomy and sad, even when the day was great, maybe one small thing happened that wasn't the best, It was no big deal then but now when I look back at that particular memory all I can think about is my ice-cream falling off the cone. I just keep picturing that. I got a new ice-cream, but somehow my mind refuses to look at the good side of things anymore. I'm just a weird person who can only live in her dark world. The thoughts of my mother pop into my mind. The happy memories of us laughing during a hot summer day, throwing water balloons on each other. I remember that, that was the day my mother ended up in hospital. Now that's all I can think about.