Chapter 16

I threw up the contents of the Chinese last night. It was disgusting. I'm not really sure how that was brought on. I guess that Chinese just didn't sit well. Today I decide to drive into school. I ditched the make-up and the dress. I'm wearing a black long t-shirt with shorts underneath, paired with black converse. Simple and comfortable. I did straighten my hair today. I can at least have my hair look presentable. I get out of my car and slam the door shut. This car is so broken but at least it's my own car. It's a two-thousand and nine, silver beetle convertable. Actually, quite cute on the outside, if you knew nothing about the torn up seats and the creaky doors. I put my bag on my back and walk into the school doors. Haley runs up to me straight away and she hugs me tightly.

"Haley I can't breath" I wheeze.

She pulls away. "Oops sorry. So are you ok? With everything that happened with Noah?"

"Oh yeah." To be honest I completely forgot about Noah. I just remember the weird episode after that. I shudder at the thought.

We both start walking to our lockers. When we are about to approach them, everyone stands still. They're all looking at something. I can't see anything because some tall guy in front is blocking my view. Haley grabs my hand and we push pass the mass of bodies. We both gasp at the sight in front. It's Noah. And my god, his face is so messed up. I wince at the thought of pain. His right eye is completely swollen shut, he has a big red mark on his left cheek. His left eye is bruised with blue, purple pigment. He turns to look at the crowd.

"What the fuck are you looking at?" he shouts. Everyone starts walking away. Before I can walk away too, he glances my way but quickly averts his eyes.

Haley walks to her locker and I trail behind her.

"Jax really did that?" she asks as she's searching for something in her locker.

"Yeah, I guess," I say looking back and seeing Noah slam his locker shut before walking away.

"That's insane. But he deserved it."

Did he? I'm not so sure anymore.

Throughout the classes before lunch, many people talked about Noah. "Who did that to him?" "Why?" "He looked bad." "What could he have done to deserve a beating like that?"

I pushed it to the back of my mind, well, sort of. He really did look terrible, and a part of me feels guilty. I grab my tray of food and sit next to Haley at the far table in the canteen. As I take my seat another person sits into the table. I look at the figure confused. Her head is down with a hood up. She looks up and I recognise her straight away. It's Esther. The only person in this school, who keeps shit to herself. Doesn't tell lies, doesn't hang around with idiots and she doesn't care.

"Esther?" Haley says.

"Hey, sorry, I just need to not be seen right now."

Haley and I exchange a confused look.

"Who are you hiding from?"

"Mr.Wilkon"

"The principal!" I say shocked. Why the hell would she hid from a principal? That's some dangerous stuff.

"Yes, the principal, there's only one Mr.Wilkon," Esther says irritated.

"Can I ask why?" Haley pipes in.

Esther just gives her a look of death. Haley puts both of her hands up, in front of her.

I smile at the awkward scene that's taking place in front of me. Haley and I keep chatting, trying our best to ignore Esther. She chimes in once in a while, telling one of us how stupid we are or just butting into the conversation with an opinion of her own. I end up munching on some fries, leaving my burger practically untouched. I chew on the chip in my hand, looking around the canteen. The sun is shining through the glass panes at the opposite side of our table. The sun reflects off of the shiny floor. I look over to my left and see the entrance where a flood of people keep coming in. I look away but something catches my eye and I look back. Shit.