22 : INTO THE WOODS

Start from the beginning

As consciousness opened its gates at him, Jack automatically carried his head and coughed out the remaining beach water that entered the inside his pleural cavity. The shocking and sudden stretch of life within him made everyone at ease.

Jack choked. He breathed concisely, gasping intimately for air that he had lost.

"Frost, ya scared the hell out of us!" Merida opened, her face were filled with worry and outrage, her ocean blue eyes nearly teared in fear.

Jack sat silently, his lips were pale and trembling. A towel laid onto his shoulder to provide the warmth he needed at the moment. Finally, Eugene patted his shoulder and smiled. Obviously, he was also exhausted for the drill. His hands felt weak in his sense.

"Glad to have you back." His tone is smooth and appealing. "And please, don't you do that again. We were worried sick."

Jack nodded, unintentionally. He can still feel the pressure in his chest. The way the water drowned him—not the waves, but something familiar that he'd seen before. Dark and frightening... but they don't know. Nothing of them know. Jack decided to keep it to himself and stayed in silent.

He opened his mouth, still trembling.

"T-thank you."

Eugene brought back a concern and genuine smile.

"No problem, bro. At least your safe now."

Once in constant and good physical state, Jack moved into the beach house with Hiccup's assistance—guiding his right arm and shoulder. Hiccup tried to pry over, ask him questions one by one of what had pushed him, almost to drown himself and Jack answers simply—or lied to give alibi, like his feet numb and experienced cramps. Which Hiccup suspected either way.

Jack was sleeping in his chambers, the lights were all turned off and all of the curtains were dragged together. He was changed into new set of dry clothes, the blanket covered his upper limbs and his head out in the open.

All of them were grouped in the living room except for one.

The door creaked softly as it opened widely for the lights to peer in. Rapunzel closed the door behind her and turned on the lights soundlessly. Jack did not move. She watched him in silence.

She just wanted to make sure everything is... okay.

She wanted to see him...

Feel sorry for him.

Rapunzel nudged the grown compact of emotions inside her—it is eating her alive, making her feel guilt in her skin. Rapunzel knew some portion of what happened and half of it is her fault. The way she avoids Jack, the way she shuts the door for him.

Her lips trembled—

"I'm very sorry, Jack." She whispered and left the room.

Jack can hear the small faint audible whispers outside the door. Without the intention of waking up, his eyes slowly opened and adjusted to the gloominess of his room. Without any assumptions, he could hear Rapunzel's voice in the background... it sounded like her. Really.

He shook of the idea.

The doorknob twisted and slid open. Jack cannot fully distinguished who it might be but the whispers of voice, he might possibly know who. Jack gritted his teeth—his jaw tightened.

He should try to open softly to her. Try to bring back their friendship.

Yes. Jack knows.

"Rapunzel." He called faintly but audibly.