Chapter Fifty-One

Kyungsoo stared at the chaotic scene before him. Sehun, Junmyeon, Tao and Kris had all stubbornly squeezed themselves on to the Kim family couch - which was clearly only meant to seat two people comfortably - and, for some reason, ignored the numerous lounge chairs in the room, with Junmyeon desperately trying to mediate the bickering between the two youngest.

On the floor by their feet lying face down was a rather corpse-like Luhan, his best friend and now boyfriend tugging at his arm weakly. "Luhannie, come on. Kyungsoo will be waking up soon so you have to get up!" Kyungsoo raised an curious eyebrow at that.

Over in the kitchen area, Jongdae and Yixing were making what appeared to be toasted sandwiches with Herculean effort, though Kyungsoo couldn't quite be sure of just what the sticky mess in between the grill plates was. It was only when he managed to catch the tail end of their conversation did he realise just how late in the day it was for him to be waking up.

"This doesn't look like a Christmas dinner to me," Baekhyun murmured from where he was perched in front of them at the island, Chanyeol inevitably by his side.

"My dear Baek, I already told you we're going Western style this year," Jongdae retorted, not at all bothered by the strings of cheese clinging to his fingers. "You can have anything for the starter, and toasted sandwiches are the best option."

"Why are you even bothering when Mrs Kim left all those dishes for us?" Baekhyun retorted, sparing a glance over at his boyfriend for support. "Westerners have a whole load of complicated stuff for Christmas, and I don't think any of them are toasted sandwiches, gourmet noodles or profiteroles from the convenience store."

"Baekhyun, Baekhyun. Just you wait and see. You'll be eating your words as well as the world's best dinner later."

Once again, the older male shot his boyfriend an exasperated look, only to be met with a soft chuckle and a gentle hand on his lower back. Only Jongdae acknowledged the enthusiastic, "I think it sounds amazing, Jongdae-yah," from Yixing.

And, for some unknown reason, Kyungsoo's boyfriend, the actual inhabitant of this house, and the only person he genuinely wanted to see right now, was nowhere to be found.

"What the hell is going on?"

At the sound of his voice, a collective gasp rippled through the open plan room before everyone began chattering and shuffling frantically at once, leaving a bewildered Kyungsoo all the more confused.

Within seconds, Baekhyun had bounced over to where his best friend still stood in the doorway to the lounge, his tall boyfriend in tow. "Kyungsoo, you're finally awake! We've been waiting all morning for you. Did you fall into a coma or something?"

The younger frowned, still none the wiser. "What's this all about? Why are you all in Jongin's house?"

"Your Christmas present!" was all that Baekhyun replied, jumping just a little on the spot as he beamed at the other boy standing before him.

"You guys are my present?" Kyungsoo deadpanned. "Because if you are, I'm breaking up with Jongin. That's the worst Christmas present ever."

The bright smile slipped from Baekhyun's face in an instant, and his lips turned down in disapproval. "Yikes, who pissed in your cornflakes, Mister Grumpy?" he grumbled, whining softly when Chanyeol gave his waist a light but reprimanding pinch.

After a fond shake of his head, Chanyeol spoke up. "Your boyfriend's prepared a treasure hunt for your present. He wanted you to have a little fun finding it," he explained, and Kyungsoo couldn't help but roll his eyes in amusement. Whilst Jongin was definitely the type of guy to go to such effort, the pale boy had no doubt that their friends had sneakily coerced him into this.