Chapter Two

The second time was even worse, even if it was only a scratch or two.

The lazy poodle never usually walked further than two blocks down the road, and Jongin would end up carrying his dog for the rest of the way.

For some reason, today was an exception. He was already surprised at the dog for making it as far as the local park, but what happened next shocked him further.

He didn't know what it was that excited Monggu, or why the said dog decided to run as fast as he could, dragging Jongin after him.

'Monggu!' Jongin screamed, desperately clinging to the dog's lead. He'd never seen Monggu move so fast in all his life.

He called out again but the dog only ran faster, before a small, somewhat familiar figure came into view. Monggu pounced, and both the dog and the boy from yesterday hit the ground with a thud and a yelp.

The small boy cursed and lashed out, trying as hard as he could to get the electrified dog off of him.

'Monggu!' Jongin growled for the nth time, as he leaned down and aggressively pried the dog off of the boy.

Flustered, the boy stared up at Jongin. 'What, you even trained your dog to attack me?' he screeched, his voice raising almost two octaves.

'I'm sorry,' Jongin mumbled, shifting Monggu's weight in his arms. 'I don't know what came over him.'

He decided to be friendly and offered a hand to the boy, who stared at it for a moment before taking it. Jongin pulled him to his feet, and the boy brushed dirt off of his front.

'If this happens again, I'll call the police and get you charged for harassment,' the boy warned and eyed the dog suspiciously, causing Jongin's eyes to widen in disbelief.

'What?' he squeaked. 'I'm not harassing you. You're not even hurt!'

'Your disgusting dog just attacked me!' the boy exploded, his own eyes widening angrily.

Hearing the smaller boy insult his precious son caused furious butterflies to erupt in Jongin's stomach, but he fought the urge to slap the boy and retorted with words instead.

'What's wrong with you? You're like some kind of spawn of the devil,' he said.

The boy's milky white complexion was swiftly turning a deep red. 'Excuse me?' he replied.

'Satan's child! What's your name?'

'Why should I tell you?'

Jongin stayed silent and waited for an answer.

'It's Kyungsoo,' the boy huffed and looked away.

'Satansoo!' Jongin shouted and burst out laughing at his own nickname.

'Go on then, you dark skinned freak! Tell me what your name is,' Kyungsoo demanded.

'Jongin. Kim Jongin,' the taller boy announced proudly.

'Kkamjong,' Kyungsoo smirked, earning him a glare in return.

An awkward silence descended upon the two of them, and Jongin looked down to find Monggu sleeping peacefully in his arms.

Jongin half wanted to walk away, but he felt a sudden wave of guilt at the thought of leaving Kyungsoo on bad terms. He would never see this boy again, so what did it matter? But for some reason, he couldn't bring himself to turn around.

So instead, he cleared his throat and gestured to a large willow tree beside them.

'Would you like to sit down for a while?'

He expected Kyungsoo to curse profusely before storming off, so he was more than relieved when the said boy nodded meekly and made his way over to the tree.

Jongin slid down next to the boy and settled the sleeping poodle in his lap.

'So what are you doing in the park?' he asked in an attempt to make conversation.

Kyungsoo's head snapped up. 'Am I not allowed to be here?'

'Seriously, just chill,' Jongin sighed. 'Of course you're allowed to be here, I'm just asking what brought you here.' When Kyungsoo didn't reply he added, 'Dude, I'm trying to make conversation.'

Kyungsoo raised an eyebrow and answered simply, 'taking a break from studying.'

Jongin nodded understandingly. 'Do you study a lot?'

'No.'

'Oh.'

'Yeah.'

The younger boy subconsciously stroked his canine friend. 'Then why are you taking a break?' he asked. It didn't sound rude though, just curious.

Kyungsoo sighed and picked at the grass between his legs. 'I hate school. I don't see the point.'

Jongin pursed his lips thoughtfully. 'Why's that?'

'My dad's company will automatically go to me anyway, so why do I need to bother with good grades?'

'You're an heir?' Jongin asked with raised eyebrows.

Kyungsoo turned to him and smirked. 'And you're not?'

'Hey,' Jongin chuckled and nudged the older boy playfully. 'We can't all be filthy rich conglomerates who are scared of cars and poodles.'

Kyungsoo laughed and narrowed his eyes at Jongin. 'You're an ass.'

'Takes one to know one,' Jongin shrugged, earning him a playful but painful punch to the arm.

The smile dying on his lips, Kyungsoo heaved himself to his feet. 'I better get going,' he said. 'The maids will probably be wondering where I am.'

Jongin scoffed. 'Maids. You rich kids make me sick.'

Kyungsoo laughed again and kicked his leg lightly, causing Jongin to make a grab for his ankle and miss before scrambling to his feet.

'Well, I guess chances are we won't meet each other again,' Jongin said, rubbing the still sleeping Monggu's ears gently. 'Have a good life, Satansoo.'

'You too, Kkamjong,' Kyungsoo replied smugly, before turning on his heel and heading down the path.

And as he watched Kyungsoo's figure disappear into the distance, Jongin decided that he wouldn't mind seeing the wide eyed boy again.