Chapter Three

Creeping into the house undetected didn't work out as well as Kyungsoo would have liked. His plan started off okay, when he managed to tiptoe through the front door without a sound.

Much to his dismay, one of their many maids was busy wiping down the table right near the entrance. When she caught sight of him she opened her mouth to inform his parents, but being one step ahead, Kyungsoo managed to hold a finger to his lips in time to silence her.

The maid pursed her lips and looked left and right, before scurrying over to Kyungsoo's side.

As she leaned in, he whispered, 'Miss Naeun, please don't tell my parents I'm here.'

Naeun nodded. 'May I ask why, Master Kyungsoo?'

'No.'

She sighed quietly before stepping aside. 'They're in the dining room,' she said.

Kyungsoo nodded once, then continued to tiptoe through the house. He peeked through a small gap in the dining room door and saw his parents chatting over a meal.

Deciding it was safe to pass by, Kyungsoo carried on.

'Do Kyungsoo.'

He froze at the sound of his name. Silence followed but he squeezed his eyes shut in frustration, knowing that he was already busted.

He backtracked a few steps to find his father staring at him through the gap. The seriousness on his face said it all.

Kyungsoo groaned inwardly and made his way into the dining room.

'What is this?' his father asked, holding up an unidentifiable piece of paper.

The boy shrugged. 'You tell me.'

Temper creeping, his father simply forced the paper into his hands. It was a letter from the school, issuing a detention for Kyungsoo's low grades and bad behaviour.

He rolled his eyes and passed the paper back to his father. 'It was only a chair,' he stated.

'I don't care what you threw. What the hell is this?' His father pointed to the big fat 'F' next to 'Business Studies'.

Kyungsoo shrugged. 'What does it matter? I'm just going to inherit the company anyway.'

'Is that the best excuse you can think of? I don't care about this-'

E - Geography

'-or this-'

U - English

'-but Business? How can I accept pathetic grades like that into my company?'

Kyungsoo raised his eyebrows. This old man was really getting upset over a low grade? 'Dad, you know I can do it. You know I'm smart enough. You taught me the things they get us to study in kindergarten, dad. And you can't deny that I'm right. The company is going to fall straight into my hands anyway, so who cares?'

His father was becoming visibly angrier by the second. 'That is not the point, Kyungsoo! How do you think this will look on the company records? I'll become a laughing stock when the new CEO has lower grades than the cleaners. You better get your act together, Do Kyungsoo, or you'll find yourself on the streets with absolutely no connections to COEUS Group.'

'Oh, come off it, dad! We both know you'd never hire anyone other than me, because the whole fucking company would be lost to some lowlife tramp who only knows how to make stupid deals and fall head first into debt. You trained me to be the best, dad, and that's what I am. So open your wrinkly eyes and face the facts that I'll be the one you come running to in five years time when you're too goddamn crippled to do your job, because I'm the only one that can-'