Chapter 22

Hey loves! Sorry for not posting in what seems forever :( I've started university and I kind of got caught up with all my work and meeting new people. Enjoy this chapter!

Unedited xxx

Laura

It was another restless night for me. I lay in my bed, staring at the ceiling, thinking of all the information I had received today.

I was practically being forced to take part in a stupid tournament to ensure I was actually Mated with Kai. Wasn't just accepting him as mine already enough? Did I really have to prove my fighting skills to show I was worthy of him?

A knock on my door caused me to sit up. The door swung open and there stood Mira, Connor and Mellie, all three of them wearing their cute pyjamas. "Couldn't sleep either?" I asked them. I scouted to one side of my queen sized bed, and threw the covers back.

The three of them scrambled in, cuddling and yawning. I chuckled and threw the covers back over us before sliding down to lay next to Mellie. Connor and Mira were snuggled together and despite my motherly instinct to separate them and chuck them in two different rooms, I let them be. I knew they wouldn't do anything and if they did, Connor knew he wouldn't make it out alive.

"Do you have to fight tomorrow?" Mellie whispered, pushing her tiny body against mine.

"Please, don't fight, Laura," Mira whimpered and Connor nodded in agreement.

I chuckled. These kids would be the death of me with all their worrying. "I have to, but don't worry. I'll be fine. I promised I would never leave you and I plan on sticking around for a long time."

They soon fell asleep after I calmed them down. I felt my own eyes grow droopy. The last thought on my mind was what Kai was thinking right now.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Don't worry, Laura. The ones you'll be fighting are bunch of air heads. One punch and you'll have them flat on the ground. And if you're against some one horrible like Donatella, don't be afraid to snap a neck. It'll do this whole pack a favour."

Rina had decided to spend the morning babbling some motivational nonsense, but I listened without complaint. I sipped my tea and nodded every once in a while, agreeing to whatever she was saying.

My hearing perked when I heard heavy feet coming down the stairs, instantly knowing it was Kai. When he came into view, my heart soared and I found myself unconsciously edging closer to him.

He seemed to notice because he smirked before pouring himself a coffee. He then took a seat next to me, his knee brushing mine. It made Amaranth want to howl hysterically, like a fan girl meeting her idol.

"Are you ready for this afternoon? And you need to eat something if you want to be able to fight," Rina scolded him, shoving a few slices of toast towards him.

He rolled his eyes. "Mother, I've been Alpha for almost six years now. I'll be fine."

But I saw the worry buried deep in his eyes. No matter how calm he acted, I could always sense what he was really feeling. I wasn't sure if it was the Mate Bond or simply because of my heightened senses, but I just knew. Placing a hand on his forearm, I pressed my lips to his shoulder, similar to how he done when he comforted me two nights ago. "You'll be fine."

He leaned into my touch and it made me want to purr in joy. My touch affected him as much as his affected me. He leaned the side of his head against my forehead and sighed, as though he were already exhausted. "I won't let anyone take you away from me," he grumbled, like a little child and it made me snort lightly.