Chapter 4

Kai

I was in the middle of explaining to Daniel about who I had brought along with me on my visit to his territory, when the clearing of a throat interrupted us. I turned my head and my eyes settled on the Alpha's son before focusing on the brunette standing behind him.

I felt my breath hitch as I took her in. My wolf, Antal, whined loudly in my head. I felt a surge course through my body, urging me to go to her, to touch her, anything. My hands tightened their grip around the arms of the chair as I continued to stare at her.

She wasn't very tall, but neither short. She had straight, dark chocolate hair that reached her waist, the fronts being pulled back out of her face by a clip. From her tight shirt I could see her breasts were firm and pleasurably round, enough to fill my hand. I held in a groan as I took in her wide hips, which had a sharp contrast to her narrow waist and made me want to run my hands up and down the length of her body. She had a slightly ovular face, with high cheek bones and pouty lips that were pressed firmly together. Her dark eyebrows drew my attention to her eyes, which were a striking blue, like an Acapulco beach, with bold black streaks. She was gorgeous.

"Kai, these are two of my children, Alec and Laura. Mira is running around here somewhere." Daniel's voice drew me out of my staring session.

I stepped forward and gave his son a slight nod to show my respect. When he stepped to the side, I was once again given a full view of the goddess. I don't know why I held my hand out for her to take. It was uncommon for an Alpha to exchange greetings through touching, but I couldn't resist the possibility of feeling her hand in mine.

She seemed to hesitate before skimming her fingers across my palm. I jolted when the shock from our contact shot through my body. My eyes flew up to meet her and she stared back at me, her eyes glazing over, as though she were hiding something.

Before I could stop myself, I raised her hand to my mouth and lightly pressed my lips to her knuckles. The softness of her hand did not go unnoticed by me and I wondered what it would feel like for her fingers to glide through my hair. Or what they'd feel like wrapped around my cock.

I inhaled gently, curious as to what she smelled like. Nothing. I shot her another bewildered look before inhaling deeply again. All I could pick up was the faint smell of lavender hand soap and her citrus shampoo. Otherwise there was absolutely nothing.

" You have no scent." I hadn't realised I had said it out loud until she gently eased her hand out of mine. I bit back a growl and the urge to seize her hand again. It felt right to hold in mine and I couldn't for the life of me understand why. I stepped back a little and observed her curiously, noticing her eyes flickering intensely, as though she were thinking about something.

Antal whined and my brows furrowed. "What?"

"Why does she feel so good? Could she be-?"

"No. If she were our Mate, we would be able to smell her," I dismissed the idea. But I had to agree, she felt too good to just be nothing. Maybe I was craving the touch of a woman. I hadn't slept one in almost a fortnight with so much work to do. Maybe my deprivation was making me lust after her. Yeah, that's it.

She opened her mouth as if to say something, when a shrill cry came from the crowd. I watched as her demeanour changed from uncomfortable to tense and protective. A growl erupted from deep in her chest before she shot off, weaving through the other werewolves with remarkable speed.

I couldn't stop myself. I felt my body move on its own accord, following her, the need to be close to her unbearable.

"Laura! Help!"