Chapter 6

Kai

I don't know what was going through my head when I offered her to come with us to stay with Mira. All I knew was that seeing the tears build up in her eyes made my heart clench so hard I thought I would start clawing at it to soothe the pain. Why was I reacting so intensely to her pain?

She looked up at me with big blue eyes. For a minute, she didn't look like the tough Guardian I had come to know. She looked like a child, a little girl who had been striped of many things she had loved and was clinging to her last beloved possession. I nearly caved in to the urge of wanting to touch her cheek and wipe the tears away. Instead, I placed a hand on her shoulder, which wasn't any better, because I still felt the jolting shock from touching her. Like throughout this whole week, the desire to throw her over my shoulder and fuck her until she chanted my name like her only prayer crossed my mind.

"Come with her," I repeated. I couldn't stop myself from rubbing my thumb in a circular motion on her shoulder, trying to comfort her. For a moment, she seemed to lean into my touch, but just as quickly she stepped away, her eyes widening in shock. Had I done something wrong?

She stared at me for a few more seconds before turning her head to Daniel. "Daniel, I can't leave her, but....but what about this," she croaked. She placed a hand on her ribs and it looked at though he understood her cryptic message. I almost let out a huff in annoyance while Antal let out a growl. We didn't like their closeness. She should not hide secret from us.

I shook my head slightly. What is wrong with me? Why am I so drawn to her? I know I could no longer dismiss it as a lust thing, because I dreamt the other night of her carrying my pups. I know it should have been a nightmare for me, but the thought of her carrying my children made my wolf groan in desire. It made me even more disgusted in myself. These were thoughts that should be reserved for my Mate, and here I was dreaming about another Alpha's daughter. Maybe I did just need a good fuck. Maybe if I sleep with her I'll get over my feelings for her. Yeah, that's a good plan.

"No, please don't," Antal begged, "now that we know our Mate is here, the thought of being with another woman repulses me. Plus, if she is here, she will know. We can't hurt our Mate like that."

I was even more irritated that I agreed with what he said. When the unmated females strutted around me, I no longer felt my cock stir, quite the opposite actually. I felt the desperate need to run away from their claw-like fingernails. Like my wolf, I was disgusted by their advances. The only woman I found appealing was Laura, and it irked me even more that the most unsexual things she did made me want to take her in any way I could. Last night, I had been in the pack house, where I saw Laura leaning over in the kitchen, picking up food Mira had dropped. I had felt my member press excruciatingly hard against the zipper of my jeans as I watched her leggings tighten around her bending ass.

It drove me insane how much I thought about her, especially since she wasn't my Mate. Hell, did I even offer for her to come with us because she was Mira's Guardian or because I wanted her to be around me? She didn't smell of honeysuckle and vanilla, and she showed no signs of recognising me as her Mate. So why the hell did she manage to hook me in like a siren did a sailor?

"Why wouldn't you be able to come with us?" I decided to stop beating around the bush. If she was going to live with my pack, I might as well know what she was hiding, right?

She seemed to share a silent conversation with Daniel before she turned to face me. "I get homesick."

From Daniel's discrete eye roll, I knew she wasn't telling the truth, but I didn't want to push her when she was in such a vulnerable state. She had been on the verge of having a mental breakdown at the thought of losing her Protected. "Visiting your family won't be a problem from our territory. Our club houses are only a few acres apart. You'd make it here within a day's travel as a wolf."