Chapter 17

Kai

"Laura," a little whimper erupted from the blonde child. Tears immediately poured down her face and she hiccupped extensively. She stood shaking in a puddle of hot chocolate and mug shards.

Laura dropped everything she was doing and ran over to her, swooping her up in her arms. She carefully stepped around the ceramic pieces on the floor. Connor and Mira crowded around her, worried. "What's wrong, Mellie?"

When the little girl didn't answer to Connor's question, Laura leaned down to him. "Granny Jewels was her family. She was taking care of Mellie."

Another heartbreaking wail came from the child in Laura's arm. She clung to my Mate tightly, her tears staining the entire shoulder of Laura's shirt. I wanted to help somehow but I didn't know what to do. I looked around the kitchen, lost.

Rina rushed to Laura's side and stroked Mellie's hair in a soothing manner. Laura whispered something to her and my mother nodded. She then turned to the little girl in her arms. "Mellie, I need you to stay with Rina for a few minutes. I know, I know," she whispered, when Mellie began squirming in her arms, clinging to her neck even tighter. "I don't want to go either, but I need to do a few things so you're looked after. Only for a few minutes, I promise, sweetie."

Mellie reluctantly let go of her, looking up at Laura with teary eyes and puffy cheeks. Rina slipped her arms around the girl and cradled her like Laura did. With her hands free, Laura turned to Roland and asked him to grab a few belongings of Mellie from the house, before waving her hand and beckoning for me to follow.

She led me to my office and I closed the door behind me. Our close proximity was overwhelming and I stopped myself from pinning Laura to the wall and taking her right there. I sat on the edge of my table, pointing to the chair in front of me.

Laura sat down and I could tell she was aware of our closeness by the way she slightly squirmed. I knew our Bond was affecting her like it was me, and I could only pray she didn't resist it much longer.

"I spoke to Granny Jewels this morning," she breathed, before clearing her throat and continuing with a stronger voice. "She asked me to take care of Mellie because she knew she wasn't going to live much longer. I didn't realise it would be so soon."

I couldn't stop myself. I shifted my legs so they were on either side of Laura's chair, caging her in. They were almost touching her, and I watched as she made herself smaller. The need to touch her was desperate, so I pressed the sides of my knees into her thighs gently. "And what is it you want to pack to do? She is one of us so she will of course be looked after. We will provide her food, clothes and whatever she needs."

It felt so good being able to talk to her and then having her speak to me directly. Antal was running in circles like a mad dog in my head, yipping with joy. He chanted "Mate" over and over again in my head.

I came back from my silent victory thought when I saw Laura shaking her head. "She will be needing all of that, but she needs more. She needs someone who will take care of her personally, someone who will make her feel loved. Before you say the pack will do that, it won't be enough. She needs a caretaker, someone like a parent."

I leaned forward a little, our faces close together. She inhaled sharply but didn't pull away, the strain to make herself even smaller evident in her eyes. "So you're saying you basically want to adopt her and have her live here," I guessed.

She nodded slightly. "She's just a kid, she needs guidance and love. If she were to live here, I'll make sure she stays out of you way." She paused before adding a quiet, "please."