Chapter 10

Someone made aware that I had uploaded the wrong chapter, so here is the correct one :) This part is also not fully edited yet

Laura

I spent the next two weeks avoiding Kai at all costs. When there were pack meetings, I stayed at the back in a dark corner. When he came into the training centre, I dragged Mira outside and we would train elsewhere. Just seeing him made me feel the rejection all over again.

After he had rejected me I held myself together until I got to my room. Then I spent the next hour throwing up and then another few hours just dry heaving. It took me almost a week to keep any of my meals down. I might as well have been pregnant with the way I was acting.

The pack showed little sympathy towards me. Now they were not only naming me "non-shifter", but also "rejected". It wasn't their insults that hurt me, it was the fact that every time they reminded me of what Kai did, I relived the moment.

I really had been an idiot for thinking I would be able to feel nothing for my Mate. I always thought my Bond with Mira was the only bond I needed and that being rejected by my Mate would be a walk in the park. In reality, it was like someone just kept stabbing me over and over again, every day since it happened.

Luckily, Mira settled in nicely. She started going to school and had made friends, much to Connor's distaste. I chuckled at how quickly the little boy became jealous. He had joined our training sessions after I explained to him that learning to fight with one's hands was not a waste of time.

"Claws are not you only defence, Connor. What if you are prevented from shifting? What if someone slips you wolfsbane? Without your claws you are hopeless unless you train to defend yourself as a man as well. Train your hands and you eradicate your weakness and remain as strong as your wolf while still in human form."

When Mira wasn't in school, she helped out in the nursery, where the pack kept their newborn pups under surveillance. When I had asked her why she wanted to help such youngsters, she answered she wanted to raise them like I raised her. Her comment touched my heart more than she'll probably ever know.

The only wolves I could have a civil conversation with were the Elders and Rina, who, unfortunately, was Kai's mother. When she mentioned to the Elders that I had helped collect herbs for my previous pack, they asked me if I could do the same for them. I was willing to help, because it meant I could escape the other pack members for a few hours while Mira was in school.

Rina was surprisingly kind. I thought she would have the same perception of me as her eldest son, but it turned out she was more than willing to welcome me with open arms. She more than once ranted about how she disagreed with her son's decision, saying I was more than qualified to be a Luna. I usually just gave her a half-hearted smile before we continued talking about something else.

We were having the same conversation today when instead of changing the subject, Rina went on.

"Honestly, I don't understand why he would even consider rejecting you! I swear, I had raised my boy better than this. Bloody fool."

I shrugged as I continued to cut the vegetables we were going to use for dinner. "He wants a strong Luna. If he believes shifting is a requirement, then so be it."

She shook her head. "But shifting does not represent strength. Even after I told him what I sensed he still continues to be stubborn and neglect you, instead of sucking up his pride and taking it back."

"Sensed?"

She chuckled and continued to mix the marinade. "I'm a Senser, dear. I can feel a person's aura and may I say, I've never sensed one like yours."

I almost cut into my own hand. "Maybe you sensed it wrong. I'm not that strong."

She shot me a knowing smirk. "Who said I sensed a strong aura?"

Shit, I practically just gave away that I knew I was stronger than I looked. I clenched my hands and then released, trying to remain as unfazed as possible.

Rina placed a gentle hand on my shoulder. "I don't mean to make you uncomfortable, Laura. I know you are a closed off person who doesn't like to share, but that doesn't mean I don't recognise your abilities. Only an idiot wouldn't notice how you're changing our pack. Since you've been here, the warriors have grown stronger, Elders are feeling younger and our pups are so healthy. I don't know what you are or if you have any other abilities, but I do know you are a blessing from the Moon Goddess herself."

I snorted. "As sweet as your compliment is, I think you're the only one in this pack that believes it. "

She gave me a sad smile. "People are neglectful of things they don't understand. The pack doesn't really understand that just because you don't have a wolf you aren't strong."

I had to laugh. I glanced at the clock and realised I had to leave to pick Mira up from school and bring her to the nursery. "If I didn't have a wolf in me, where would I have found the strength to fight the bitch who threatened Mira?"

I left before she could comment.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As I followed the path that led to the school, I heard a high pitched giggling. I glanced in the direction of where it was coming from and wished I hadn't.

It was the auburn girl who had threatened Mira, rubbing herself up against Kai. He didn't seem too bothered by her touchiness, instead, he actually looked rather comfortable, as he gave her a smile and placed his hands on her waist.

Amaranth snarled loudly in my head, furious with his behaviour. I wanted to walk over and tear the vixen away from him before smacking him a few times, but refrained from doing so.

"He isn't ours. If it's what he wants, then we just have to accept," I said, trying to calm Ama down.

A knot in my stomach began to form as I got closer to them. How inconvenient that I had to walk right past them to get to the school. As I was a few feet away, the woman looked up and noticed me. A sneer formed on her face. "Well, if it isn't the non-shifting, rejected bitch."

I raised an eyebrow but said nothing. I noticed Kai didn't say anything either, instead he was too focused staring at the floor. I kept walking, but she didn't seem to be finished. "What? Something got your tongue? Or did rejection make you mute?"

"Is there a point to what you're trying to say? Or do you simply enjoy hearing your own voice?" I replied, giving her a bored look. I swore I saw a faint smile on Kai's face, but he still refused to look at me.

She snarled. "Say something, Kai! She can't talk like that to me."

For the first time in two weeks, Kai looked me in the eye. Amaranth let out a gentle purr, and I felt a warmth spread though me. It quickly died when he spoke though. "Be nice....Laura."

I snorted in disbelief. Not a minute ago she had bluntly insulted me and he said nothing, but when I said something to her, he was willing to defend her? I might be his rejected Mate, but I had some hope he would at least have the balls to respect me. At least now I knew where his priorities lie.

I shook my head in disgust but didn't say anything as I continued walking. The stupid cow still wasn't finished though. "It hurts, doesn't it? Knowing I'll soon be Luna, while you will remain a nobody. He's been fucking me, even before he knew you. Everyone basically already sees me as their Luna. Soon, they'll all know my name."

That was a kick to the gut. I wanted to scream in rage, when she said he's been sleeping wither her before he even met me, but also so soon after he dismissed me. I kept my cool demeanour while I stared hard into her eyes. I stepped past her before stopping, turning back to the couple.

"So sleeping with him is what it took to get yourself noticed?" I smirked at her, and she gave me a confused glare. I smiled wider.

"At least I didn't need to take an Alpha between my legs to make a name for myself."