Chapter 3

Laura

"Honestly, Mira, you could wear your pyjamas and still be considered beautiful. If we don't hurry up we'll miss the feast as well," I laughed as the little girl struggled to strip off her outfit to find another.

"But, Laura, you're only saying that because you're my Guardian! I want to look pretty. Father said I have to look presentable and if I come out in pyjamas he will be furious," Mira whined.

I sighed as I helped the girl pull a dress over her head. It was a soft pink that fit to her caramel hair nicely. "Now you look like a little princess. Are you happy with this one?"

Mira squealed and nodded, twirling around. I felt Amaranth purr in satisfaction that our Protected was happy. I then quickly braided the little girl's hair before pushing her towards the stairs so we could go down and join the festivities.

"Goddess, Laura, I thought you guys would never show up," Alec huffed, appearing at the bottom of the stairs. "Father's been asking for you both. He's holding his "thank you" speech soon and he wants you both there for it."

"Sorry, little Mira was so desperate to look pretty we almost missed the feast," I teased. Mira rolled her eyes and shot off through the house into the back garden, where everything had been set up.

Alec led the way and I reluctantly followed, feeling a knot form in my stomach. I stopped and frowned when Amaranth growled.

"What's wrong? Is it Mira? Do you sense something?" I asked my wolf telepathically.

"Something feels weird, Laura. It's not Mira though. It feels like something is about to happen."

"Something wrong?" I had forgotten Alec was standing there.

I slowly shook my head and repeated what Amaranth had told me. He frowned, before telling me to join everyone outside, but keep an eye out for anything strange. My feet forced me forwards and I followed him again, the uneasiness in me growing.

When we reached outside, we headed straight to our father. Our Alpha was sitting at the head of a long table with the other Alpha right next to him. They seemed to be in deep conversation when Alec cleared his throat. Both men turned their heads to face both of us and the foreign Alpha's eyes settled on me.

It felt like I had been thrown in a soundproof room. The noise around me faded and I could hear my blood frantically beating in my ears. When my eyes locked with Alpha Kai's, my breath caught and I froze in my spot as his scent hit me. He smelled a sweet mixture of pine and nutmeg, like the pack house during Christmas time.

"No, this can't be right" I hissed at Amaranth.

My wolf on the other hand was singing with joy. "Mate. Mate. Mate!"

I swallowed hard as I examined the Alpha. Even though he was sitting, I could tell he was tall. His forearms were resting on the table and I had the strong desire to trail kisses on the visible veins protruding from his limbs. He had a build where his muscles were well defined but by no means bulky. His skin was a honey colour, like he spent hours in the sun, and it brought out his dark green eyes. He looked to be only a few years older than me. Caramel hair covered his head and looked as though he had combed his fingers through it numerous times, sweeping it to the side. He was gorgeous.

I snapped out of my intensive staring and mentally scolded myself for being such a buffoon. I couldn't take him as my Mate, I had to prioritise Mira and our Guardian Bond. A Mate would only hinder me. Besides, he'd probably never want me, he'd just want the abilities that came with my white wolf.

"But what if he wants us for us?" Amaranth whined, begging me to give Kai a chance.

I felt myself shutting down. I suppressed the urge to fling myself at him and instead turned my eyes to my Alpha. From his expression, I knew that he had noticed something, since he gave me a questioning look. I shook my head ever so slightly.

Alpha Daniel cleared his throat before rising. "Kai, these are two of my children, Alec and Laura. Mira is running around here somewhere."

I watched Kai slowly rise from his seat, as if unsure of what he should do. His eyes were still trained on me, and I was begging that he wouldn't recognise me as his Mate. From his confused expression I could tell he wasn't aware what I was to him, but I knew he could sense some kind of connection.

For werewolves, sense of smell was the biggest contributor to recognising one's Mate. I mentally patted myself on the back for remembering to put on my vervain bracelet before I came down. As long as he couldn't smell me, I would be safe.

I stood behind Alec as he gave Kai a respectful nod. The Alpha's eyes shortly left mine to return the gesture, but quickly found my face again. He stepped towards me cautiously, as if worried I would bolt. To be honest, I was restraining myself from fleeing to my room and locking the door.

He held out his hand and waited for me to take it. Swallowing hard, I slid my fingers along his palm before grasping his hand, refusing to show any signs of pleasure as I felt his warmth course through my body. Kai, on the other hand, jerked slightly before shooting me a bewildered look. Had he figured it out?

I held my breath when he raised my hand to his lips, placing a tantalizing kiss to my knuckles. He held my hand a little longer, when I felt him inhale slightly. I saw his brows furrow and he shot me another confused look, before inhaling deeper.

"You have no scent," he muttered. I figured it was more to himself, since he was glaring at the ground as though thinking.

I bit back a moan when I heard his voice. It was deep, like the rumble of thunder. I blinked several times, trying to mask the desire that was probably visible in my eyes. I hesitantly pulled my hand from his, missing the warmth and the feeling of his calloused finger tips.

I was about to mumble a pathetic excuse for my lack of scent when Iheard a high pitched scream. My heart jolted and I knew it was Mira.