Different

I don't want to go in here.

Please, go.

But Jacob, I can't. Everyone will stare at me and wonder where I've disappeared to.

So? Just as long as you're back.

I stared at the building and mentally cursed myself for coming back here. My eyes wandered over to the spot where I would usually stand and wait for Jacob. My heart ached as I realized some other kids had taken it over as their own spot. I looked down at my shoes and bit my lip lightly. 

I don't want to be here. Why am I here?

I suddenly felt someone grab my hand, I looked up and saw Ray. He gave me a small smile, "you're going to be fine". 

I stared at him and he gave my hand a soft squeeze. 

It'll be fine.

I took a deep breath and walked with Ray into the building. 

I looked around, everything was the same. The paint on the walls, the posters, the lockers. Everything. As I walked down the hall all of the memories that Jacob and I shared here flooded my thoughts. The laughs we shared and the kisses that we managed to sneak in before we were off to both of our classes. I blinked back my tears and slowly inhaled. Why was I forced to come back here?

I wiped at my eyes and looked around again. People were watching me, some smiled and others didn't. They were probably all surprised that I actually came back. I stared at the floor as I walked down the hall quietly. 

This is so embarrassing. 

Fuck them, they don't matter, Bri.

It's easy for you to say that. You're not in the situation, Jacob. 

This is true, but still. They don't matter.

I gave a tiny nod and nearly fell back when someone suddenly bumped into me.

"Sorry, my bad" the person said, I looked up and as I did so, they looked at me too. 

I stared at the familiar face. It was Chresanto August. 

We both looked at each other and I furrowed my eyebrows when he reached out and touched my hair. 

"Sorry, I just... It's been a while since I've... Seen you" he muttered as he pulled his hand away. 

I swallowed the lump in my throat and looked down. 

"How have you been?" He suddenly asked. I looked up at him, why was he trying to talk to me? I didn't like him. He bullied my boyfriend. He bullied Jacob. 

He looks the same

Yeah, he does. 

"We should go" Ray said as he let go of my hand, he looked Chresanto up and down and glared at him. I nodded a little but held up my hand; telling him to give me a minute. As much as I didn't like Chresanto, I still wanted to see what he had been up to. I reached into my bag and pulled out my whiteboard and marker that I had received two days prier to this day. 

I haven't been too good. I wrote casually, I wasn't going to hide anything from him. 

He gave me a confused look, "you don't.... You don't talk anymore?" 

I shook my head as I wiped the board clean. 

"Why?" 

I took a deep breath and wrote.... Jacob.

He gave me a sad look. "Oh, I heard about him and... What he did, I'm sorry". 

Again, I wiped my board clean. It's okay.

I rearranged my bag so it sat comfortably on my shoulders. 

So, um, how have you been?

"I've been good". 

That's good.

"Yeah, I um... I didn't think you'd be back anytime soon". 

It's not "anytime soon". It's been over two months.

"Really? It seems just... Like, I don't want to say yesterday, but ya'know". 

Yeah, I gu-

I ran out of room. I huffed and wiped away all the words from the board. I heard him chuckle and I looked up at him and smiled a little. 

The warning bell suddenly rang and I looked at Ray, then at Chresanto. 

He cracked a smile, "I guess we should get going. I'm, um... I'm glad you're back, Bria".

I nodded a little and wrote the word: thanks.

_____________________________________________________________________________________

Sorry for updating late, and the only reason I'm updating two times in a row is because I won't be able to update again until Saturday afternoon. So I just thought I'd update again today, so yeah.

Love,

Me

P.S. sorry for any mistakes.