Chapter 13

Neytiri

I stare at myself in the mirror as I brush the long white tresses that fall down my back. It makes me miss Ismena. She'd be making me laugh by now with her tales from the kitchens. I let out a soft laugh and continue brushing.

I haven't been around much anyone lately. Just random people of the castle, and I only see Caius if we're training. Other than that it's Ulric who escorts me to and from places. Ever since that day at the river, it's almost as if Caius has been told to keep away from me. There's a soft knock on my door, and it's pushed open to reveal the last person I expected to see tonight.

Cassian.

I feel my muscles tense up, and my heart quickening but I keep my composure. Those black and red eyes are watching my every move, piercing my soul. He silently pushes open the door not saying a word as he closes it behind him, gracefully moving across the room. His movements are so fluid and confident, you can tell this man was born to rule.

He takes a seat on the corner of my bed, never once breaking eye contact. He smiles, revealing those sharp canines and that dimple.

"Breathe," he says.

That's when I realize my chest is burning from lack of oxygen. I exhale, making a mental note to keep breathing. He laughs softly, looking away from me into the fire.

"Caius tells me your training is going well," he says.

"He's a good teacher," I say. I notice Cassian's smile drop a little.

"Hmm..." is all he says.

He looks back to me and my grip on the hair brush tightens. He stands up holding his hand out to me.

"Come with me," he says.

I look at his outstretched hand and want nothing more than to move away from him, but he looks so trusting in me, that I slowly set the brush down, and place my hand in his. His grip is warm, but his hands are callused from fighting all those years no doubt.

He pulls me along into the hallway, the light from my bedroom disappearing in the darkened halls. He looks excited as he pulls me along.

"Where are we going?" I whisper. He turns to me placing his fingers over his smiling lips.

"Shhhhhh." It comes out so soft, almost as if it were just a leaf on the wind. I blink, and roll my lips into my mouth, emphasizing that I will be as silent as I can. He laughs softly at my reaction continuing to pull me along.

We move along the corridors until we reach a set of stairs and I realize we are heading out one of the hidden exits of the castle. He keeps his hold on me, and at one point he pauses placing his back against the wall. He pulls on my arm pulling me away from sight, and flush against his chest.

He's warm.

I look up and his head is turned to the side as he looks around the corner. He has an almost childlike grin on his face. It's foreign there. He looks down at me, and I immediately look away feeling a burn on my cheeks.

"Come on," he whispers pulling me once again.

We reach the outer edge of the castle and I look up, seeing the stone loom over us. But Cassian doesn't seem to be stopping. He still pulls me along until we reach a cave. My footsteps immediately falter as uncertainty comes over me. Cassian notices, and stops his pulling to turn to me.

I look from him to the cave and back to him.

"I won't hurt you, Neytiri," says.

He tilts his head to the side gazing at me with a small smile on his face and for the first time I don't feel fear. He's boyish in this moment. He holds his hand out to me.