Chapter 11

Neytiri

I hate the heat.

I never realized it when I was younger nor when I lived in the Glynden forests. The sun barely reached us seeing as the trees were as tall as the castle, and the greenery thick.

But as I sit by the river with the sun beating against my back, I feel... weak.

"It's dangerous for you to be here alone." I look up at the sound of Caius's voice to see him coming towards me with a concerned expression. Any irritation I felt immediately dissipates as he comes near me. Caius has become my source of comfort and familiarity as the weeks have gone by. I haven't seen Cassian since that night, something I am partially grateful for as he's grown increasingly busy finishing up whatever it is he has to do in this kingdom.

Today, however, we are finally departing. I dip my fingers in the river enjoying the cold water. A smile forms on my lips as my mind begins to wander.

"Gran used to tell me all about the ancient kings. She would constantly tell me how they were unlike anything anyone had ever seen before. I never believed her. I always rolled my eyes at her stories and hopes for the future." I look up at the sky, feeling tears roll down my cheeks.

"What I wouldn't give to have her tell me one more story," I say. Caius is silent for a moment, but then I hear the sound of him placing his sword on the ground as he makes his way over to me, taking a seat next to me.

"You never really had time to mourn her, did you?" he asks. I keep my eyes trained on the river, shaking my head.

"No. Even after her death, everything was thrown on me so fast... I had no time to relax and feel true sadness. All I could think to do was adjust and survive. But now I see this world that I know nothing about... and with everyone keeping me in the dark... survival is my number one priority..." I say.

Caius gently places his hand against my back, rubbing his hand in comforting circles.

"Anytime you want to cry, you may do so. You are safe here," he says. "I will always protect you, Neytiri." I hear the determination in his voice and look at him. He has a serious expression on his face. I smile.

"You're so kind, Caius," I say.

He pulls his hand away from me, a shocked expression forming on his face as he studies me. He blinks in confusion slowly looking at the water with a sad smile. After a moment, he clears his throat standing above me.

His gaze shifts to look behind him as he speaks.

"Cassian asked that I come get you. It's too dangerous for you to be out in the sun like this," he says. I look back at the water, letting out a deep sigh. After a moment, I finally stand to follow Caius back into the castle. 

* * * * *

"You're quiet."

Cassian's voice comes out of the dark silence. We left Xavien's kingdom and are now on our way to another kingdom that according to Cassian will take a week's time. I, however, am once again blindfolded.

I keep my hands in my lap unable to stop from fiddling with them. No matter how hard I try, my nerves are getting the best of me.

"Why do you need to travel to another kingdom?" I ask.

"There is a total of four kingdoms, one that is occupied by me, one that is occupied by Xavien, and the last two which are occupied by my two allies. Now is just a matter of seeing who is loyal and who is not," he says.

"Why did you take over the original kingdom?" I ask. He's silent, and I think for a moment he isn't going to answer me. But he does.

"This land belonged to my ancestors. All of it. But, when man came into the picture, my ancestor's thought it best to... allow them their own rule. A foolish decision on their part. I am only taking back what was never theirs to begin with," he says.