75 | love runs out

Start from the beginning

Mess. Mess it all was.

<><><>

Katherine, Ryder and Chance were with us when Alissa and I decided to stay with Patricia's body in one tent.

They first protested saying that it wasn't safe but finally compelled when we insisted. Provided their tent was put up near ours.

Alissa is a quiet girl and I don't know if it has always been so or if the recent change of events made it happen. But either way, I felt guilty and responsible for it.

I felt as though it was because of me that she was suffering one of the biggest pains in the werewolf world- the pain of losing your mate.

I wanted to comfort her, and I did, but I was afraid that she'd throw me off and accuse me for the death of her mate.

I don't know whether I'll be able to take those accusations.

Alissa still had Patricia's head on her lap as she softly brushed her forehead as if her mate was asleep and could wake up anytime.

I don't know if she was in denial or just really mourning silently, but either way, my heart went for her.

I decided to give the girl some privacy and excused myself from the tent.

Coming out of our tent, I finally looked up at the forest for the first time in days and realised that I was finally free.

The realisation hit me like cold water on a winter morning and I was left gaping. It surprised me how I had not enjoyed the sun overhead and the fresh smell of leaves and air as soon as I had come out of the hellhole.

How had I not enjoyed being free?

I shook my head and decided to not ponder too much as my legs took me towards the other tent where in Ryder and Chance were staying. There was another seperate tent for Katherine's family.

I hesitated a bit at the entrance. Should I go inside? Am I ready to? Do I want to face the person named Chance Sommerfield? The person who potential broke my heart and led me into doing things that ruined me?

Am I ready to face Ryder? Someone I hadn't seen in months. Someone I never understand. I had always thought I knew him the best before Cindy happened and I don't even know anymore.

But in the end, I realised​, I have to face this all. I have to face these people and I have to face these situations no matter how much I want to run away.

And if I am planning to never go back to the pack, I have to talk to them one last time properly before I leave forever for the good after Patricia's funeral.

I sighed, closing my eyes as I mustered courage. I could do this. I told myself. I have been through so much. This is a piece of cake in front of it all. I can do this.

"I can't believe that he turned out to be such a snake," Ryder's voice came from inside, making me stop right on my tracks.

I narrowed me eyes and stood still, eavesdropping their conversation even thought I know it's wrong and rude and it shouldn't be done.

I wasn't guilty though and I needed to know if I could trust these people or not.

"Tell me about it. He's been my best friend for years. And now I feel ashamed to even think that was true. Goddess knows what's got into him. He was never this selfish."

Best friend? My eyebrows furrowed in confusion. Are they talking about Reece?

"He's the Alpha. It's high time for him to start understanding his responsibilities and take actions on them." Ryder said again and suspicions were proved to be right.