34 | count on me

"If you tossin' and you're turnin' and you just can't fall asleep
I'll sing a song
Beside you
And if you ever forget how much you really mean to me
Everyday I will
Remind you."

34 | count on me

- Olivia -

Sunlight streamed in through my unclosed window and fell on my face, disturbing my peaceful slumber.

"Mhmmm," I grumbled, turning to the side, to stop the light from falling from my face. I had expected to feel the cool, fluffy surface of my pillow, but what my face touched was warm and firm.

Furrowing my eyebrows, I buried my face in the warm surface and the grip on my waist tightened.

Wait, grip on my waist?

My eyes shot open as I realized that I wasn't the only one on my bed anymore and a scream left my throat.

Instinctively, my hands moved forward to push the person away from me. The sunlight was too bright for my morning eyes to see the person clearly.

The stranger fell on the floor with an "oof" and started producing colourful swear words.

"What the hell, Livy?" He said.

Livy? My eyes widened as I realized it was no one but Ryder. Blinking furiously, my eyes adjusted to the light and I saw Ryder sitting on the floor with a crumpled shirt and  frown on his face. He kept rubbing his head and glaring at me.

"Ryder?" I asked, exasperated. "What were you doing?"

"I don't know? What people do at night?" He said, sarcastically. "I was sleeping, duh! I was sleeping till I was rudely shoved off the bed."

"Hey!" I said defensively, raising my hand in surrender. "I didn't realize it was you. I didn't know someone was in bed with me and I panicked. You can blame me if you develop a stealthy habit of sneaking in people's beds at night."

He sighed and rubbed his face with his face, to get rid of the remnants of the sleep.

"It's okay," he muttered.

"What?"

"I said, it's okay. I forgive you."

"When did I say sorry?" I grinned mischievously making Ryder glare at me once again.

"Little bitch," he murmured.

"I might be a bitch but I am not your bitch," I proudly slapped some cheesy line I read on the internet on his face and he laughed despite himself.

<><><>

"So? May I ask what you were thinking when you decided to sneak into my bed last night?" I asked Ryder as we sat on the dining table, chewing on our Fruit Loops.

"You are my best friend. It's not called sneaking. It's called therapy." He replied and I tried not to let my heart melt.

I gave him an impressed look and he chuckled but I could tell he wasn't really happy. The gave off sad vibes and his forehead was creased in worry.

His eyes didn't shine the slightest bit and his mouth was set in a frown when he wasn't 'pretending to be happy'.

"Ray," I said softly, placing my hand over his. "Tell me. What happened?"

He looked at me and his eyes turned watery as I watched his entire face fall like a house of cards.

His shoulder slumped and he gripped the table so hard that I worried it will break off from the edge.