Chapter 13

EMMY'S POV

I wake up a bit later than usual, around eight-thirty. I quickly get up and get dressed. I grab a pair of jeans and a t-shirt with a horse head on it. I then went and brushed my teeth before heading downstairs. I do my medicines and since I'm not hungry, I skip breakfast and go straight down to the barn. Alex was down there already, so I wheeled over to him.

"Hey Alex," I say, rolling up to him.

"Hi Em," he says, while turning around to give me a quick peck on the lips.

I giggle and we turn towards the stall doors. Alex runs off to grab treats for Honey and Athena, while I stay with the horses. Alex comes back and hands me a treat for Honey while he starts giving Athena her treat. I feed Honey her's too, and she happily chomps down on it. We stay there in silence while we feed the horses their treats. 

After a few moments, Alex speaks up, "Um, so Emmy, do you want to come over to my house again tonight?"

"Sure. I mean, I'll have to ask my mom, but since she was okay with it yesterday, I'm sure it's fine." I reply nervously. 

"Okay, cool."

I turn and look out on the driveway, where I see a familiar face. 

"I'll be right back!" I shout back to Alex as I wheel as fast as I could out to the white minivan. 

"Charlotte!" I yell towards her, "You came back!"

As Charlotte hops out the car, she spots me and starts running over.

"Hi Emmy!" she says in her cute little voice, "Of course I came back!"

We start towards the barn where Alex is leaning against the doors. 

"So she came back?" Alex asks.

"Duh! Of course, I did horse boy!" Charlotte says.

"Now Charlotte, this is Alex, and he doesn't like being called 'horse-boy'" I say back.

Alex gives me a nod before going back into the barn.

I start to take Charlotte into the barn so we could get Lucky Charm's halter and lead rope. We head to the tack room and I show Charlotte where Lucky Charm's things were. She grabbed them and we started to head to the pastures. When we arrived, Honey saw me and cantered over.

"Sorry girl, I'm not coming to get you right now," I tell Honey.

"Who's this?" Charlotte asks me.

"This is Honey, my horse," I reply, still petting her nose.

"Okay," Charlotte said while scanning the pasture for Lucky Charm. Once she spotted her, she pointed and she started walking towards her while I followed behind. When she reached Lucky Charm, she stopped and waited for me to catch up. I showed her how to put on the halter, and once it was on, she grabbed a hold of the lead rope and started to lead her to the cross ties. I showed Charlotte where to go and helped her clip Lucky to the cross ties.

We left Lucky Charm at the cross ties and went to the tack room to get her tack. We grabbed the saddle, saddle pad, half pad, bridle, and a treat before going back to Lucky. 

I try to reach up onto Lucky's back, but I can't reach, so I decided to call Alex over.

"Alex! Can you come over to the cross ties? I need your help!" I call out.

Alex comes running over as fast as he can.

"Emmy! Are you okay? What do you need?" he asks worriedly.

I laugh and say, "Oh Alex, I'm fine, but when I was trying to tack up Lucky Charm for Charlotte, I discovered that I couldn't reach. So can you help Charlotte tack up Lucky since I can't do it?" I ask.