"Hey what's up?" she asked

"I was wondering if you wanted to hang out sometime?" he asked

"Are you asking me out?" Briar was taken back by this

"Well, yeah I guess I am" he scratched his neck nervously

"I'd love to," she smiled "I'll see you round," so with that she hurried after her red head friend

Meanwhile at the other end of the train, the dark-skinned Slytherin had reached his compartment, and took a seat opposite Draco, who looked relieved to no longer have been left alone with Pansy

"So, Zabini," he said "what did Slughorn want?" 

"Just trying to make up to well-connected people," said Blaise "Not that hemanaged to find many."

"Who else had he invited?" he demanded. 

"McLaggen from Gryffindor," said Zabini.

"Oh yeah, his uncle's big in the Ministry," saidMalfoy. 

"- someone else called Belby, fromRavenclaw -" 

"Not him, he's a prat!" said Pansy. 

"- and Longbottom, Potter, that Weasley girl-"

"He invited Longbottom?" Draco exclaimed 

"Well, I assume so, as Longbottom was there," said Zabiniindifferently. 

"What's Longbottom got to interest Slughorn?" Zabini shrugged. "Potter, precious Potter, obviously he wanted a look at 'theChosen One,'" sneered Malfoy, "but that Weasley girl! What'sso special about her?" 

"A lot of boys like her," said Pansy "Even you think she'sgood-looking, don't you, Blaise, and we all know how hardyou are to please!" 

"I wouldn't touch a filthy little blood traitor like herwhatever she looked like," said Zabini coldly "Oh and Lupin was there"

Pansy missed the way Draco's free hand which wasn't being held by her curled "What's she got to offer?"

"He wanted to talk about her dad and their 'condition', and what happened at the Ministry" he said "And she might be a half-breed, but she's hot"

Again Draco's free hand curled into a fist "Well, I pity Slughorn's taste. Maybe he's going a bit senile.Shame, my father always said he was a good wizard in his day. My father used to be a bit of a favourite of his. Slughornprobably hasn't heard I'm on the train, or -"

"I wouldn't bank on an invitation," said Zabini. "He askedme about Nott's father when I first arrived. They used to beold friends, apparently, but when he heard he'd been caughtat the Ministry he didn't look happy, and Nott didn't get aninvitation, did he? I don't think Slughorn's interested in DeathEaters."

"Nott's also a twat" Malfoy said

When the Hogwarts Express arrived at Hogsmeade station, Briar and her friends hurried to get to a carriage to get out of the cold, and soon enough they were seated in the warmth of the Great Hall, awaiting their delicious feast

Briar did finally have some sense of normality when she looked up at the staff table and saw Dumbledore in his centre seat and Hagrid too was sitting at the staff table. When the feast finally appeared Briar quickly dug in, but when Harry walked in mid-way and his face was covered in blood, Briar was immediately concerned

Dumbledore got to his feet after the plates disappeared and the talk and laughter echoing around the Halldied away almost instantly. "The very best of evenings to you!" he said, smilingbroadly, his arms opened wide. Allowing everyone to notice that his right hand was blackened and dead-looking. Dumbledore merely smiled and shook his purple-and-goldsleeve over his injury. "Nothing to worry about," he said airily. "Now...to ournew students, welcome, to our old students, welcome back!Another year full of magical education awaits you...and Mr. Filch, our caretaker, has asked me to say thatthere is a blanket ban on any joke items bought at the shopcalled Weasleys' Wizard Wheezes. Those wishing to play for their House Quidditch teamsshould give their names to their Heads of House as usual. We are also looking for new Quidditch commentators, whoshould do likewise. We are pleased to welcome a new member of staff thisyear. Professor Slughorn" - Slughorn stood up, his baldhead gleaming in the candlelight, his big waistcoated bellycasting the table below into shadow - "is a former colleagueof mine who has agreed to resume his old post of Potionsmaster."

Whispers immediately swept the hall "Potions?" everyone was saying in surprise 

"Professor Snape, meanwhile," said Dumbledore, raisinghis voice so that it carried over all the muttering, "will betaking over the position of Defence Against the Dark Artsteacher." This time the whispers were more fierce and angry. Dumbledore cleared his throat and everyone fell silent again "Now, as everybody in this Hall knows, Lord Voldemortand his followers are once more at large and gaining instrength." The silence seemed to tauten and strain as Dumbledorespoke. Briar glanced at Draco. He was not looking atDumbledore, but making his fork hover in midair with hiswand, as though he found the headmaster's words unworthyof his attention. "I cannot emphasise strongly enough how dangerous thepresent situation is, and how much care each of us atHogwarts must take to ensure that we remain safe. Thecastle's magical fortifications have been strengthened overthe summer, we are protected in new and more powerfulways, but we must still guard scrupulously againstcarelessness on the part of any student or member of staff. Iurge you, therefore, to abide by any security restrictions thatyour teachers might impose upon you, however irksome youmight find them - in particular, the rule that you are not tobe out of bed after hours. I implore you, should you noticeanything strange or suspicious within or outside the castle,to report it to a member of staff immediately. I trust you toconduct yourselves, always, with the utmost regard for yourown and others' safety." Dumbledore's blue eyes swept over the students beforehe smiled once more. "But now, your beds await, as warm and comfortable asyou could possibly wish, and I know that your top priority isto be well-rested for your lessons tomorrow. Let us thereforesay good night. Pip pip!"

Briar immediately began to hurry out of the hall, just in time to catch Malfoy in the entrance hall before he went down to the dungeon

"Malfoy!" she called and he stopped in his tracks to glance over his shoulder at her

But then he turned back around and stormed down the stairs, leaving her confused and with a heavy heart