*The Truth

Briar woke up in yet another sweat. Ever since the end of last year she had been struggling to sleep because of bad dreams that plagued her, and they were always either about Voldemort or Theo.

Still the only person who knew about Theo was Remus, so he frequently found himself visiting Briar's room in the middle of the night when she would wake up screaming

What Briar hadn't noticed though, was that Dumbledore had noticed a difference in her behaviour. He noticed that she flinched whenever someone raised a hand too quick near her, or when someone near her would suddenly stand. And he knew she had been associating herself with some Slytherins during the previous year so his worry grew

So on the morning of Harry's trial, as the order meeting drew to a close Dumbledore asked Remus, Sirius, and Briar to remain

"Miss Lupin," He sighed, unsure of how to start this conversation "I am aware of a change in your behaviour since the end of your third year and I am certain I am not the only one who's noticed. I wonder if this change might have something to do with those who you associated yourself with last year"

Remus had been sitting beside Briar and she could feel him tense "What do you mean?" She asked

"Mr Theodore Nott for example," He said

Sirius gave the other two a confused expression, but when he noticed the stony look on Remus's face, and the nervous glint in Briar's eyes, he immediately had a guess of where this was going

From behind his half moon glasses Professor Dumbledore could see the same things and knew he was on the right track

"Mr Black, Mr Lupin, perhaps you could give me a moment alone with Miss Lupin" he suggested. Remus looked like he was about to say no, but Briar placed a hand on his arm and nodded, so reluctantly the two men left the room. Dumbledore picked up his wand and waved it, and Briar guessed he was placing an imperturbable charm on the door "Miss Lupin, am I correct in assuming Mr Nott has hurt in you in some way?"

It took a lot of will for Briar not to be sick at the thought of it. But she swallowed down the ill feeling "Yes" she rasped out

"During your relationship with Mr Nott, did you notice any...dark or unusual tendencies of his?" He asked

"He got angry a lot," she answered "And was a strong believer in pureblood supremacy. Wait, you think he may be a Death Eater?"

"The Notts were once a powerful Slytherin family," he sighed "Very powerful. So if Voldemort is gathering his old followers, then I strongly suspect that Mr Nott's parents will have been one of them"

"He didn't say anything" Briar said

"I see," Dumbledore nodded. He fixed his eyes on the table for a few moments and then it was like an idea suddenly sprung to his mind and his gaze snapped back up to Briar "And what of your relationship with Mr Malfoy?"

"I'm sorry?" Briar nearly choked on air

"You and Mr Malfoy have always appeared to be close," He said "Am I correct?"

Briar had to think about it. Her and Draco argued a lot and he wasn't often too nice to her, but they did talk a lot, he seemed to hate her the least out of her friends, and he could be nice. "I suppose"

"I am sure you are aware that the Malfoys are a reputable pureblood family, and that Lucius Malfoy was a very well-known death eater when Voldemort first came to power. One of Voldemort's right hand men." Briar nodded "So I have no doubt that young Mr Malfoy will have been informed of this, and that his father will be encouraging him to follow in his footsteps. And I am gravely concerned for Mr Malfoy"

"Why does this involve me?" she asked

"I am asking you to get closer to Mr Malfoy" Dumbledore said "To act as an informant for us, of anything he may reveal. And maybe to prevent him from following in his father's footsteps. He cannot know of the Order, but perhaps if he learns of another option then he may follow you instead. But you will not be able to tell anyone about this job"

"I can do it," Briar nodded

"If you do this then you will be required to take more private lessons with Professor Snape." Dumbledore said "I have already requested for him to give you private potions lessons for some extra things I would like you to know how to do. But I am certain Mr Malfoy will have already been trained as an Occlumens, and if you are not to give anything away then you must be too. So I will ask Professor Snape to teach you that as well"

"Ok," she said 

"Then if that is settled I shall depart" He said "Good evening,"

Briar smiled at him and once she left the meeting room she was immediately questioned by Remus and Sirius, but she told both of them they had just discussed Theo's behaviour, before the three of them headed down into the kitchen where everyone else was waiting for Harry and Mr Weasley

And when the pair returned with the news that Harry had got off, the room broke into celebrations

Fred and George broke into a chant of "He got off!" which lasted for hours and hours, and drove everyone, especially Mrs Weasley up the wall

But throughout all the celebrations Briar couldn't help but notice that Sirius didn't seem as cheery as everyone else. So when the party began to drift to the living room, she stayed with her godfather in the kitchen

"Are you okay?" She asked him

"Yes," he replied, but Briar could see he wasn't earnest 

"What's wrong?" she asked again "I know you, padfoot"

"I'm happy for Harry" He said "But part of me did hope that if he didn't return to Hogwarts then I wouldn't be completely alone in this house all year. I know there are members of the order coming and going, but it would have been nice to have someone to stay with me."

"I know," she frowned "But I promise I'll be here whenever I can. And I'm sure that Remus will be too"

"Thanks," he smiled "Being in this house is miserable all day. When everyone else leaves all I have to keep me company are the memories of growing up here and none of them are pleasant"

"You grew up here?" she asked

"Until I was 16" he nodded "Then I left for James's house and never looked back. After I started going to Hogwarts I spent as many holidays as I could at James's or your dad's house to stay away from my parents and my brother Regulus"

"You're not alone here now" Briar said "I know you hate this place, but every time I come here and every morning when I wake up here I'm happy because I know that if I'm here it means I'm seeing you,"

Sirius smiled and wrapped his arm around her shoulder "Sometimes I wish you were my daughter"

"I basically am," she laughed "You're my second dad"

"I'm glad," he grinned and kissed the top of her head "Stop growing up please, it's getting scary"

"I'll try," she joked "Now come on, Remus promised me that if you drank enough fire whiskey I would get several verses of karaoke from you" At that Sirius barked a laugh but followed her to join the rest of the party anyway