*Saving Harry (P2)

When Remus said 'Two of you', everyone was tense, even Briar. But slowly it began to click in her head. 

"He's here as a rat, hiding with one of the Weasley boys"

Sirius's words echoed in her head. There was only one rat in the Weasley family, Scabbers.

Remus kept his eyes fixed on the fidgeting figure in Ron's jumper "Do you think I could have a look at the rat?" he said just as calm as before

"Why?" Ron asked "What's Scabbers got to do with it?"

"Everything," Remus said  "Could I see him, please?"

Ron hesitated, then put a hand inside his robes. Scabbers emerged, thrashing around; Lupin moved closer to Ron. He seemed to be holding his breath as he gazed intently at Scabbers.

"What?" Ron said again, looking scared. "What's my rat got to do with anything?"

"That's not a rat," Sirius said suddenly.

"What do you mean? of course he's a rat-"

"No, he's not," Remus said quietly "He's a wizard."

"An Animagus," Sirius grinned, "by the name of Peter Pettigrew." his eyes went cold 

"You're both mental." Ron shook his head

"Ridiculous!" said Hermione faintly. 

"Peter Pettigrew's dead" Harry exclaimed  "He killed him twelve years ago!'" He pointed at Sirius, whose face twitched

"I meant to" Sirius growled, "but pathetic Peter got the better of me...not this time, though!"

And Crookshanks was thrown to the floor as he lunged at Scabbers

"Sirius, NO!" Remus yelled, launching himself forwards and dragging Sirius away from Ron  "You can't just do that, they need to understand, we've got to explain–"

"We can explain afterwards Moony!" Sirius roared, trying to throw Remus off, 

"Stop it!" Briar cried, watching Ron's face contort in pain after Sirius had fallen onto his broken leg. 

"They've got a right to know everything!" Remus panted, still trying to restrain Sirius "Ron's kept him as a pet! There are parts of it even I don't understand! And you owe Harry the truth, Sirius!"

"Sirius, please" Briar said softly and he glanced behind him, seeing his goddaughter's eyes full of fear and worry sent a jab to his heart. 12 years ago he had sworn on Merlin he would do everything he could to keep her safe and happy, and now he was the cause of her not being that way.

Black stopped struggling, turning his hollowed eyes back to Scabbers, who wasclamped tightly under Ron's bitten, scratched, and bleeding hands. 

"All right, then," Sirius said, without taking his eyes off the rat. "Tell them whatever you like. But make it quick, Remus. I want to commit the murder I was imprisoned for"

"You're nutters, all three of you" said Ron shakily, looking at Harry and Hermione for support. "I've had enough of this"

He tried to heave himself up on his good leg, but Remus pointed his wand at Scabbers. "Hear me out, Ron," he said quietly. "Just keep a tight hold on Peter while you listen."

"HE'S NOT PETER, HE'S SCABBERS!" Ron yelled. Harry turned to Lupin. 

"But there were muggles who saw Pettigrew die" he said. "A whole street full of them ..."

"They didn't see what they thought they saw!'" Sirius spat angrily, still watching Scabbers struggle in Ron's hands. 

"Everyone thought Sirius killed Peter" Remus nodded. "I believed it, until I saw the map tonight. Because the Marauder's Map never lies ... Peter's alive and Ron's holding him"