*Outsmarted

One month had passed since then, and on a cold October morning Oliver Wood was bounding down the stairs to breakfast, pulling Harry in tow, chatting away about the upcoming quidditch season, when he spotted Professor McGonagall in the entrance hall so he changed his plans and they quickly headed towards her. 

Harry had found him in the common room the day after he took Briar flying, and told him about Briar and how he thought she could be good for the team as a chaser, but was a first year so wouldn't be allowed. But Wood was determined to get her on the team, or at least get her a tryout, so he needed to speak to their head of house.

He valued Harry's opinions, and his star player had raved his ear off about Briar for days, so eventually Oliver had given in and allowed Briar a sort of mini tryout. 

The three of them had gone down to the quidditch pitch, and Oliver gave her exercises to complete, and was beyond impressed with how fluid and natural she moved on a broom, and for a girl of only 11, she had potential to go far.

So, ever since then the three of them had been flying together routinely and now that Wood was confident in Briar's abilities,  he was determined to get her on his team once and for all.

"Professor McGonagall," He was saying to his head of house, smiling widely

"Good morning Mr Wood, Mr Potter, to what do I owe the pleasure?" Professor McGonagall asked, her eyes narrowed at the clear mischief in the two boys's eyes.

They were mischievous at the best of times, and she knew Oliver Wood well enough to know that when he came to her batting his eyes like this, he wanted something, and that something was usually not allowed

"I'd like to make a request" He stated "To have a first year on the quidditch team" 

"Well unfortunately, you know the rules, no first years allowed on the quidditch team. And who are you even talking about?" McGonagall asked

"Briar Lupin" Harry said "She's really good and we could use her."

What none of these three knew was that as Briar was leaving the Great Hall, she could hear them talking so she stopped in her tracks and listened in, her cheeks flushing when Harry said she was good.

Professor McGonagall was not surprised though. Briar's mother Kendall had been a natural on a broom as well, and she had sort of hoped that Briar would turn out the same, so she was pleased of course. However, as head of Gryffindor she also had standards to maintain.

"Surely we can allow this one matter Professor" Oliver Wood added

"Of course not! We may not bend the rules for one student" McGonagall said 

Briar furrowed her eyebrows then. Harry had told her that he was given an exception and was allowed to join last year, so why wasn't McGonagall doing the same for her?

Huffing, Briar finally walked forwards and headed straight for them with her head in the air

"Professor, why was Harry allowed to join last year, but no one else?" She asked "Last year he got to join the team as a first year."

McGonagall's cheeks flushed at being caught out like that, especially by a first year. However, she composed herself and replied "Well that was an exception"

"Because he's a Gryffindor?" A new voice asked from the exit of the Great Hall, as Draco Malfoy made his way over  "If the rules can be changed for him, why not her? Is it just because he is the chosen one or do you play favourites?" Harry looked between Draco and Briar in shock, the latter of whom looked just as shocked that Draco defended her "Our captain Flint wouldn't care if we play against a first year. They're easier to beat"