*The End

The Death Eaters were continuing to approach the school and as they did, every remaining fighter in the school emerged in the courtyard, wands drawn in preparation for whatever they threw at them

As they reached the other end of the courtyard, Voldemort held up a hand to stop his followers coming any closer and they waited with bated breath. Voldemort had a cruel sneer on his face and it set everyone on edge

"Harry Potter is dead. He was killed as he ran away, trying tosave himself while you lay down your lives for him. We bring youhis body as proof that your hero is gone" Voldemort said and it was like time stopped "The battle is won. You have lost half of your fighters. My DeathEaters outnumber you, and the Boy Who Lived is finished. Theremust be no more war. Anyone who continues to resist, man, woman,or child, will be slaughtered, as will every member of their family. Come out of the castle now, kneel before me, and you shall bespared. Your parents and children, your brothers and sisters will liveand be forgiven, and you will join me in the new world we shallbuild together." Nobody moved so Voldemort turned to Hagrid, who was clearly being held hostage in their ranks "Come," he ordered and Hagrid strode towards the front, carrying a limp body in his arms

"Harry," sobbed Hagrid. "Oh, Harry . . . Harry . . ."

When the body in his arms came into view, Briar knew immediately it was Harry

"NO!" Came the unexpected scream of Professor McGonagall. And when Bellatrix laughed, Briar wanted to kill her

"No!" 

"No!" 

"Harry! HARRY!"

Their cries acted like a trigger; the crowd ofsurvivors took up the cause, screaming and yelling abuse at theDeath Eaters, until — "SILENCE!" cried Voldemort, and there was a bang and a flashof bright light, and silence was forced upon them all. "It is over! Sethim down, Hagrid, at my feet, where he belongs!" Hagrid sniffed and lowered Harry onto the grass. "You see?" said Voldemort "Harry Potter isdead! Do you understand now, deluded ones? He was nothing, ever,but a boy who relied on others to sacrifice themselves for him!" 

"He beat you!" Briar yelled, and the charm broke, and the defenders of Hogwarts were shouting and screaming again until a second,more powerful bang extinguished their voices once more. 

"He was killed while trying to sneak out of the castle grounds," said Voldemort, and there was relish in his voice "killedwhile trying to save himself —" But Neville charged forward, and with a bang and a flash of light, Voldemort had stunned and disarmed him "And who is this?" he said in his soft snake's hiss. "Who has volunteered to demonstrate what happens to those who continue tofight when the battle is lost?" 

Bellatrix gave a delighted laugh. "It is Neville Longbottom, my Lord! The boy who has been givingthe Carrows so much trouble! The son of the Aurors, remember?" 

"Ah, yes, I remember," said Voldemort, looking down at Neville,who was struggling back to his feet, unarmed and unprotected,standing in the no-man's-land between the survivors and the DeathEaters. "But you are a pureblood, aren't you, my brave boy?" Voldemort asked Neville, who stood facing him, his empty hands curledin fists. 

"So what if I am?" said Neville loudly. 

"You show spirit and bravery, and you come of noble stock. Youwill make a very valuable Death Eater. We need your kind, NevilleLongbottom." 

"I'll join you when hell freezes over," said Neville. "Dumbledore's Army!" he shouted, and there was an answering cheer fromthe crowd, whom Voldemort's Silencing Charms seemed unable tohold.  

"Very well," said Voldemort "If that isyour choice, Longbottom, we revert to the original plan. On yourhead," he said quietly, "be it." Voldemort waved hiswand. Seconds later, out of one of the castle's shattered windows,something that looked like a misshapen bird flew through the halflight and landed in Voldemort's hand. He shook the mildewed object by its pointed end and it dangled, empty and ragged: the Sorting Hat. "There will be no more Sorting at Hogwarts School. There will be no more Houses. The emblem, shield, andcolours of my noble ancestor, Salazar Slytherin, will suffice for everyone. Won't they, Neville Longbottom?" He pointed his wand at Neville, who grew rigid and still, thenforced the hat onto Neville's head, so that it slipped down below hiseyes. There were movements from the watching crowd in front ofthe castle, and as one, the Death Eaters raised their wands, holdingthe fighters of Hogwarts at bay. "Neville here is now going to demonstrate what happens to anyone foolish enough to continue to oppose me," said Voldemort, andwith a flick of his wand, he caused the Sorting Hat to burst intoflames.