Cryptic Goodbyes

It was always the same. A simple knock at your door in the middle of the night, your shaggy haired man standing on the other side.

There was never a need for him to explain. Many times there was no need for words as you let him into your house. Just a touch, or a kiss said so much more.

Sometimes it was nothing more than that. Companionship, a chance to be together. A chance to know that there was someone who cared for you. Cared if you lived or died.

Other days, usually after a hard hunt, you weren't even to your bedroom before clothes were strewn across the floor and you were being held tightly in his arms.

It didnt matter to you what type his visit was. You were grateful he came at all. But lately his visits were becoming less frequent, his love making more frantic. You held on to those visits, even though you knew in your heart that at any moment they could end..

You weren't expecting him tonight. It had almost been a month since his last visit, and he had told you it would be a while until his next. But at 2 am the knock came, a simple three times letting you know he was at your front door. You hesitated for a moment, hearing the hesitation in his knock as well.

Sliding out of bed, you quietly made your way to the front door, partially opening it. You half expected to have him throw it open, to pull you into his arms. Instead he carefully stepped inside, nervously biting on his lip. And you instantly knew this wasn't going to be a pleasant meeting. A midnight booty call. This was going to be something much more devestating.

"I wasn't expecting you," you started, crossing your arms in defense.

"I wasn't sure I was going to come," he answered, running his boot across the wooden floor of your foyer. "But I thought you deserved to know."

"Sam, I...,"

"No, let me speak," he insisted. "It will be easier for both of us."

"Fine, then speak," you muttered, stepping into your living room and heading straight to your whiskey decantuar. Pouring both of you a drink, you handed him a glass before taking a sip yourself.

"Y/N, I never thought this would happen," he started. "I never thought I'd fine someone after Jess that I would love. But then I met you, and I thought that maybe I could do this. Have a normal life and a hunting one too. But things have happened lately that have made me change my opinion of that."

"Sam, you thought that way before!" You exclaimed. "You wanted to be away from me for my own good. But you came back!"

"This time it's for good. Y/N, I'm working on something that's good for the entire world, and I can't be worrying about you as well. Something that could put Demons away forever! So I came to tell you goodbye."

You had expected this, and you knew you shouldn't be surprised. But it hurt, more thanyou ever thought possible.

Sam stood up, acting indesisive for a moment before leaning down and gently pressing his lips to your cheek. Choking back tears, you held still as his lips ghosted over your skin. Closing your eyes, you took a deep breath, breathing in his leathery scent. "Goodbye Y/N," he whispered.

Opening your eyes, you could see him walking away, taking your heart away with him. "Sam!" You called out, and he turned around. "This isn't over. You always come running back and I always welcome you."

"Not this time," he insisted. "There's no coming back from this. Even if it was my choice, I'm sorry but this is it Y/N."

With those cryptic words, he was out the door, and out of your life, leaving you to curl in on yourself and let the tears fall.